the captivating flow

bogleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been attempting to get better at taking pictures of waterfalls for quite some time now. A few weeks ago I was back in the UP and went waterfall hunting. Yes, you really do have to look hard for them as they are down unmarked trail roads and 2-tracks.

With this shot there is not as much flow effect since I used a faster shutter speed. To make the right side look flowing the left side became a blob. If you are interested I have some of those too.

Anyways let me know your honest opinion.

Thanks!

The Original
mgt1.jpg

The Original cropped
mgt2.jpg

maybe try using smaller aperture, to darken the water? the overall shot seems a little overexposed. that would make the rocks really dark tho... maybe the lighting is better at another time of day.

i'm not feeling the scrubby plants surrounding everything, maybe try getting between the waterfall and the plants and focusing just on the falling water and rocks.

You are close but I think I agree with StvShoop that it looks a little over exposed. Did you try a polarizing filter. That might help but could slow your shutter as well.

I was attempting to slow the shutter for a flowing effect. I suppose the lighting just was not quite right that day. If I recall correctly it was quite overcast.

I read that Neutral Density filters are almost required for flowing water effects during the day. They are semi-transparent grey filters that do nothing but lower the light so many f/stops.(different filters = different amounts)

ooo..did you sharpen it? either if you did or didn't, it looks like the pixels have been eaten/munched on in the original :( Of course the cropped looks better because you cropped it...i think. either way, personally, the overly sharpened look (i dont know if you did or didnt sharpen it) bothers me :( but other than that! it's nice ;)

Most reactions

Back