The Coffee House

On the phone for a great deal of the night with a very sick, dear friend. Him and I have both had our health challenges in the past year so I guess he felt comfortable calling me. It wasn't a good call either, it was a list of things "I need you to help me with when I'm gone" call. Ironic he called, Gary A. and I were just PM'ing about him today.

On a stupid note, I went in for weight watchers weigh in and I stayed the same. Still got snarky looks but I think it was because I walked around with a bulge in my pants. I ate some (3 bars) weight watchers caramel bars today as a snack (9 points), it may have reacted with some medicine I have been taking. I called the doctor office and apparently it could be the culprit. My wife is cool with it.

I like gooey caramel weight watcher bars....

Crazy icy here this morning. There was a 10 car accident a few blocks away on my street. Also part of one of our major highways was shut down this morning due to a 50 car accident according to the news. Schools open on time no delay I think because there's a half-day today and because 90% of the kids didn't go to school yesterday with the parade! Just heard from my daughter that they arrived safely at school. It was my neighbors turn to drive the carpool. Not me thankfully! Traffic into Boston is at a standstill. Glad to be a telecommuter today.

I heard about those accidents on the radio (I usually listen to WEEI on the way into work). That's crazy...glad you and your daughter are safe and not sitting in traffic. I heard that they reported 2/100" of ice...crazy how little it takes to cause huge problems.

No ice here. I'm off to doctors, this medication has me all goofed up. I've got hives all over and having breathing trouble. No more bulge. The med is for pain, it is a softer version from what I had been taking but not going to work. I may just convince him to let me try going drugless. This sucks.

I think he could use some Black Ivory Coffee as well.

Plus the dedicated brewer is quite unique. It would look good sitting out for all to see.
Gary doesn't drink enough coffee to warrant an Elephantidae size portion. (He has sipped a cup of kopi luwak.)

As to the Belgian Royal Balance Syphon Coffee Maker ... no thanks, much to flamboyant for Gary ... apparently John's cup of tea.
Me thinks you misunderstand. It is not elephantidae size portions. The beans go in the elephants intake manifold as it were and exit through the tail pipe, to be collected, cleaned and roasted. When they say that Shite is expensive coffee they aren't kidding. :allteeth:
Gary was eating like Anthony Bourdain before cable Tv. If presented with a cup of Black Ivory, Gary would drink it.

Plus the dedicated brewer is quite unique. It would look good sitting out for all to see.
Gary doesn't drink enough coffee to warrant an Elephantidae size portion. (He has sipped a cup of kopi luwak.)

As to the Belgian Royal Balance Syphon Coffee Maker ... no thanks, much to flamboyant for Gary ... apparently John's cup of tea.
Me thinks you misunderstand. It is not elephantidae size portions. The beans go in the elephants intake manifold as it were and exit through the tail pipe, to be collected, cleaned and roasted. When they say that Shite is expensive coffee they aren't kidding. :allteeth:
Gary was eating like Anthony Bourdain before cable Tv. If presented with a cup of Black Ivory, Gary would drink it.
Well if that's the case try the recipe. (yes I have)

1 Large Possum (skinned and gutted)
8 Big Taters
2 big spoons of butter
1 big spoon of sugar
a pinch or two of salt
Thyme, marjoram or pepper to taste
1 cooking pot with a good tight lid

Put the possum in the pot with just enough water to keep it from burning, cover with a good tight lid. Possums take longer to cook than taters so wait until your possum has stewed for about an hour before you add the taters to the pot. Place the taters along the sides of the possum and mix in sugar, salt and your choice of thyme, marjoram or pepper to taste.

Every 15 minutes or so take off the lid and baste the possum with the juices. By now the possums own fat will have rendered and the water will now make some delicious possum gravy.

When the possum is tender and the meat falls off the bones mix a little flour, if needed, to the water/possum fat and tater mixture.

If you need a possum let me know and I will run one over for you.

Buenos Dias Coffee Hosers. Rained last night. Gary used to toss the captured rain barrel water onto the plants. But now he is draining the rain barrels out to the street. He hates wasting water, but any more and all the plants will need snorkels. The front pig feeder is nearly empty, again.

8 Big Taters
2 big spoons of butter
1 big spoon of sugar
a pinch or two of salt

Put the possum in the pot with just enough water to keep it from burning, cover with a good tight lid. Possums take longer to cook than taters so wait until your possum has stewed for about an hour before you add the taters to the pot. Place the taters along the sides of the possum and mix in sugar, salt and your choice of thyme, marjoram or pepper to taste.

Every 15 minutes or so take off the lid and baste the possum with the juices. By now the possums own fat will have rendered and the water will now make some delicious possum gravy.

When the possum is tender and the meat falls off the bones mix a little flour, if needed, to the water/possum fat and tater mixture.

Gary has eaten much worse. In Gary's youth, he traveled the world quite a bit ... he was on the road 1/3rd to 2/3rd of the time. Often he spent months to a year on the road. Most of the time he didn't end up in the 'best' of countries. For entertainment, in less than best countries, he would eat at an indigenous/locals-only type of restaurant. He would order an item with the longest name ... then make himself eat it. It was a game Gary played ... he lost most of the time.

8 Big Taters
2 big spoons of butter
1 big spoon of sugar
a pinch or two of salt

Gary has eaten much worse. In Gary's youth, he traveled the world quite a bit ... he was on the road 1/3rd to 2/3rd of the time. Often he spent months to a year on the road. Most of the time he didn't end up in the 'best' of countries. For entertainment, in less than best countries, he would eat at an indigenous/locals-only type of restaurant. He would order an item with the longest name ... then make himself eat it. It was a game Gary played ... he lost most of the time.
Same here, I have eaten many diverse and interesting things. Rat, fried tarantula, bugs and larvae of all sorts. Never got to try Rươi (Nereididae sandworms) and I am not dumb enough to try Sannakji (live octopus). Little critters have been known to kill people by sticking in their throats. The one dish I did turn down was Tiết canh. I've eaten many a blood pudding, but I don't do fresh blood.

Same here, I have eaten many diverse and interesting things. Rat, fried tarantula, bugs and larvae of all sorts. Never got to try Rươi (Nereididae sandworms) and I am not dumb enough to try Sannakji (live octopus). Little critters have been known to kill people by sticking in their throats. The one dish I did turn down was Tiết canh. I've eaten many a blood pudding, but I don't do fresh blood.
In the words of the late great Charles Schultz of Peanuts fame: "Blick".

You have to give some of them a try. Here in America we are to prissy about what we eat. Blood pudding is a very European dish with variants in most countries. I don't do live blood for the health aspect of the blood. Much like eggs. I don't do raw eggs in general. I will use eggs raw if necessary, but only the expensive pasteurized eggs in things like Caesar Salad dressing.

Crazy icy here this morning. There was a 10 car accident a few blocks away on my street. Also part of one of our major highways was shut down this morning due to a 50 car accident according to the news. Schools open on time no delay I think because there's a half-day today and because 90% of the kids didn't go to school yesterday with the parade! Just heard from my daughter that they arrived safely at school. It was my neighbors turn to drive the carpool. Not me thankfully! Traffic into Boston is at a standstill. Glad to be a telecommuter today.

Holy Shnikies! Ice is no joke. I've dealt with it more times than I care to remember when I lived in Pittsburgh. I'll take snow to plough through any day.

Speaking of which, it's supposedly going to hit 60 or something this afternoon (WHAT IN THE ACTUAL JAMMING JAM?) and then start dropping. Snow will start overnight, so I'm keeping all available digits and limbs crossed for a snow day :)

You have to give some of them a try. Here in America we are to prissy about what we eat. Blood pudding is a very European dish with variants in most countries. I don't do live blood for the health aspect of the blood. Much like eggs. I don't do raw eggs in general. I will use eggs raw if necessary, but only the expensive pasteurized eggs in things like Caesar Salad dressing.
I agree with the concept. Escargot in France- cool. Calimari in the Med? You bet.

Maybe it's just that I'm home from work nursing myself back to health with zero appetite, but I gotta stay with "blick" for most of that other stuff. ;)

Speaking of which, it's supposedly going to hit 60 or something this afternoon (WHAT IN THE ACTUAL JAMMING JAM?) and then start dropping. Snow will start overnight, so I'm keeping all available digits and limbs crossed for a snow day :)

This is what caused the problem. With the temps today expected to soar, and the snow turning to rain yesterday - the overnight freeze was worse than expected and didn't warm up as early as they had predicted so - crazy ice everywhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back