The Coffee House

I am getting a couple of new lenses: the kind that go behind the camera. Yep, I got cataracts. :icon_eek:
Traffic and car lights are real fun - I get three distinct lights for each one IRL. As they get closer, they merge into a three-bladed propeller (four blades with non-dominant right eye) and finally become a single light at about 20-30 yards out. I go in next week to get measured with surgery sometime in June (after the Maine trip).

Now I have to decide what focal range to get: do I want to "fix" the nearsightedness so I won't need glasses for distance but likely have reading glasses, or do I want to fine tune the nearsightedness so I still have glasses for distance and not need them for up-close. My instinct is to stay nearsighted, which is what I was used to before bifocals. With the exception of driving, almost everything I do is close: art, reading, and computer work (office and home).

That's an interesting issue to face, Bear. I tend to agree with you on your decision - reading, doing artwork, being on the computer - all day long. Driving, movies or TV - reach for the specs. Good luck with this - hope it goes smoothly! :heartpump:

Happy weekend, hosers!

Hey, hosers.

First beer in Colorado.
20170513_121549.jpg

Stay nearsighted. I would, I think...

My brother had cataracts, I've had a laser procedure done, they just sit you in a chair, put in drops to numb everything (well, not everything!) and zap it with a laser (or whatever). I had a cyst and they numbed the eye and 'excised' it - they don't have to describe the details! All I could think was it sounds kind of like exorcism, but it didn't involve chanting or anything. Had to put drops in but my eye just felt really dry for a couple of days and looked kind of red and then it felt OK. I don't know for cataracts maybe it'd be more sore than just a cyst being removed, but I'm sure you'll be fine after. The beforehand to me is usually the worst part.

My cataracts are starting to bother me as well, but are not bad enough to treat yet. I am actually looking foward to the surgery as it will correct your normal vision. I will just need glasses to read. It will get rid of my astigmatism which causes me most of my issues. It seems to change as often as most people change their underwear.

I was told that I am a bit young for cataracts, in general (I'm 58 for a few more months) but the flavor I have come on quickly - I noticed this a few weeks ago and went to the optician. She diagnosed them but wanted me to get another opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back