The Coffee House

thanks for the reminder. i should get some extra beer and cigarettes just in case.

Have you seen this? Hilarious.

That's hysterical!

The funniest thing about the general panic that sets in is to see what people stock up on. Back when Hurricane Sandy was about to hit, the grocery stores were clean out of pretzels, plain potato chips, and original Doritos. The fancy flavors were all fully stocked. Apparently in an emergency, you want the old standards ;)

And before the last big snowstorm a few months ago, I stopped in briefly at a "health food" store to pick up some of my bulk foods, and there were tons of people all scrambling to stock up on their organic ginger snaps and chocolate.

It's nice to have snacks and all, but you'd think something more nutritious might also be in the carts.

The good news: wood is inside.
The bad news: full tank is attached but grill isn't working. I think there's a hole in the line :mad-44:

The sort-of good news that helps temper the bad news: the store across the street has a generator and always has hot coffee and pizza during power outages. It will be less convenient, but I can just go across the street for some hot water in the morning and make my own coffee at home.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst!

Leonore, next after checking the wood, water, and znow sombie (yes, it's spelled that way) countermeasures, hopefully you have the camera all loaded and ready to go. Because a "disaster" needs documentation. Plus, you might get to put it on a T-shirt as in "I survived the great storm of January 27, 2015!", or some such.
Yes, avoid the jinx.

I stop in the local grocery store 3 or 4 times a week right after dropping my daughter off at school about 740am. I pick up whatever meat and veggies we need for that night's dinner instead of doing a big weekly shopping. Typically I will see 5 or 6 others shopping and 1 cashier open with never a wait. Today it was chaos. Full parking lot, all registers open (about 10 of them I'd say) with at least 4 carts in each lane, crowded aisles and half empty shelves. The senior in front of me in line had 4 bags of Hershey's kisses, tp and a gallon of milk. He made a joke about just the necessities. It was pretty funny.

Big news!!
I have just…

made it through an ENTIRE day without my cellphone. :laugh2:

I accidentally left it at home this morning. I am so terribly addicted to the thing that it feels like I am missing an arm when I go off without it, instead of just a stupid electronic device. I decided about 12 times during the day to take a quick drive back home and retrieve it, but talked myself out of it every time.

So now here it is quitting time. And I made it!!
I don't need that silly cell phone.
I can do JUST FINE without it, thank you very much.

But--I am gonna stop and get it on my way to meet some friends for a birthday celebration tonight (not MY bday, a friend's bday).

Have you seen this? Hilarious.

Kinda reminds me of the last time there was a solar eclipse, (some) teachers told their kids to look only on the ground and avoid looking anywhere near the sun... The kids were moving around the recess yard with their hands cupped over their eyes in case the solar radiation blinded them. Ummm, teach? that thermonuclear light that you're avoiding is present for 12 hours or more every single clear day, and you don't have a plague of blinded kids resulting from that. Or am I expecting too much that they would understand that a solar eclipse does NOT cause a death ray effect?

Anyways... back to our regularly scheduled panic. How's the snow so far?

Just spitting here. We are just north of Boston, less than 2 miles to the coast.

It's getting steady here but still not so heavy that the ploughs can't keep ahead of it. I can still see the roads.

AND...I got the grill working! Woot!!

78 degrees here!! Oh, and first selfie stick pic lol!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422309854.597455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Just spitting here. We are just north of Boston, less than 2 miles to the coast.
thanks for letting me know it was coming. lol started the generators up for a test run. Kind of knew they would start but if they weren't going to i would rather figure out that now rather than later. May not even need them. i am wondering if this is one of them situations it sounds a lot worse than it ends up being. i will get extra beer though...

The bad news: full tank is attached but grill isn't working. I think there's a hole in the line :mad-44:

It might not be that. Make sure the regulator is level. So it is screwed into the fitting at the tank, right? The input and output fittings of the regulator must be level with each other. Then let the gas flow for a bit. If you can hear or smell the gas, then turn off the valve and let the wind blow the excess gas away, then you can light the burner.

Most reactions

Back