The Coffee House

I suppose. I don't give a crap about money except for having enough to keep me off the streets and do some traveling. Money is never the point.

It is never the point...till it is time to pay the bills.

For some people it is. Money is the goal so they can buy the things that will make them "better." They can have a bigger house than they need, drive a more powerful car than they need, make sure their kids can fail out of the very best private schools and get quietly bailed out of any trouble they get into.

I understand wanting to make enough money to be comfortable. I want to be comfortable, of course I do. But I know that it probably will take less for me to be comfortable than it would for a lot of other people. I live simply and don't care too much about "stuff." I also know that there are limits to what I will do just for the sake of more money. I could have had a different career by now. I had a chance to get into banking when I first got back to the U.S. Some people - including members of my family - told me that it would be the smarter move, that it doesn't matter if banking would kill my soul because the point of working is for money, and I should make as much as I can.

I can't do that. I can't spend so much of my life doing work that means nothing to me simply for the paycheck. And so I work at something that is meaningful but doesn't pay me enough. I tried to make it work better for me financially but it didn't happen. It was time for something new that would be more profitable, but it still has to have meaning for me. Otherwise I just would have gone back to bartending and made a killing.
I would just be happy to get released back to work. Boss man wants me back. If I could get doc man to release me I would be back and most likely up for promotion (and pay increase). I guess I am being missed..i was probably one of the more dedicated ones in the place. Course my wife hated me for it.
If the Doc is reluctant ... work out a deal ... like part-time, or limited activity/responsibilities ... whatever. Most Docs will work with you on that.
They won't work with me on anything. Except they want to take away my drivers license again. I keep failing the neuro testing. They defer to rehab, which basically tells me to go fly a kite it ain't happening until I score better, or like never. More referrals for more testing. About it. They pass the buck between eachother, rehab refers me back to neurology. Round and round we go. My reg doc is the one that first put me out. Who says no too and refers me back to neurology, which refers back to rehab, which refers back to neurology. Which reviews my tests. And they just say no. Really not getting very far here. kinda like they shut me down whether like it or not.
I think everybody is taking the easy way out and passes the buck. Do some research and get another opinion(s). I'd start with a teaching hospital if nothing comes up via searching the internet.
Pretty much. I am not even asking for them to get me better at this point. I got a pretty good idea of what the deal is, hundred k in insurance payouts later or some obscene thing (good thing for insurance). Not like I cant walk and talk. Wife tells me no doc in the world would sign off on me because of liability/risks. But if push comes to shove I bet I could find one under a rock in a third world country. Realistically I think I am going back to self employed. No other choice.

Last time I was self-employed, I fired myself.
being self employed takes a lot of discipline. Some people are cut out for it, some aren't . I can do either but working for someone else is much less headache and stress.

ARGH I hate waiting for stuff to get shipped. I WANT MY FLASHESSSSSS
Oh stop! My GAS has been under control for....................... about a week now!!!

Mine... is going crazy. All I want is some damned TTL flashes and triggers. All I want. But nooooooo, gotta order them.

Last time I was self-employed, I fired myself.
being self employed takes a lot of discipline. Some people are cut out for it, some aren't . I can do either but working for someone else is much less headache and stress.
The guy who wants you bad can hire you as an independant contractor ... involves a 1099, but the owner will have a ton of liability as he is aware of you present disability.

No more surgeries, please! :(

However, sitting there stewing in anger, "killing someone mentally", over something that could be easily remedied by reaching out to someone is silly.

I get this and totally applaud you for your compassion, I truly do.

Having said this, sometimes the anger is not always controllable. I'm not speaking for Gary or anyone other than myself.

I have something called misophonia. Marija can tell you about it, too. Misophonia is a neurological...thing...not sure if it's classified as a disorder? Syndrome? ... Whatever it's called, it comes down to having an extreme negative reaction to certain sounds. For me, the most common trigger is someone eating. It's not just being annoyed that someone is making noise or being upset at the break in social convention. It's an intense fight-or-flight kind of reaction. When I find myself stuck next to someone who is snapping gum or audibly chewing (especially with their mouths open!), my heart starts pounding, I get intensely angry, and I want to scream, punch someone, throw something, run away...anything to get it to stop. Sometimes, like when a student is at the support center and music is bleeding from his or her earbuds, I can tell them to turn it town and address the situation directly before I get too agitated and bitchy.

But how do you tell someone at the next table at Starbucks to stop chewing like a cow? Or how do you tell your friend that you never want to eat lunch with her because the way she chews makes you want to slap her until she cries? I've finally resorted to just carrying earbuds with me at all times so if I can't say anything or get away from the noise, I play some music to drown it out.

So to "normal" people it might seem silly to get so upset over something like chewing or snoring or a wheezing laugh, but some of us are tortured by these sounds and can't do much about it. I can't even tell you the anxiety it causes me when I have to be, for example, on a bus or plane, or stuck on line somewhere, and I don't know if someone is going to trigger the miso or not.
Sorry to hear you have this, and if someone has that, I feel for them.

However, that's not to say there weren't three options available if Mr. Gary found this man that off putting : (1) ask him to wake up, (2) move to another seat in the waiting room, or (3) wait in the car.

But, I will apologize for taking this as far as I did. No more out of me on this topic.
Why should I move to another seat or wait in the car? It was he that came over and sat by me and it was he that started snoring at a level that far exceeded his personal space. This is something I don't get ... shouldn't he be the one that should move or wait in the car. Regardless of what private matter he may be going through, it doesn't give him the right to be rude. Waking him up and telling him that he is being rude ... can be construed as equally rude. But that is probably what I should have done as all the other options just enables him to continue his rudeness. But I didn't interrupt his beauty sleep because he kept waking up and I'm thinking that maybe he stay awake this time.

In this world it seems that people with better manners are the ones that are abused by those with lesser manners.
Okay. Sounds good.

I suspect waday ... being that you are a very very nice person ... that people are always taking advantage of you. Which is okay, if it is okay with you ... as in ... you don't mind. If you were snoring by me, because you are such a nice person, I'd go to the car and let you sleep.

Ah, thank goodness. My stuff will be here Monday.

damn it. i was the top poster of the month, now it flipped back to "been spending a lot of time on here".... so much for the new leaderboard...

oh wait. nevermind. still there...lol

Most reactions

Back