The Coffee House

Hosers, all I got were shadow pics from the eclipse. We had our glasses on and watched from the deck. It was so cool!!

It got darker - and cooler - then even darker. The birds were chattering and then it got quiet. And THEN - right about the time we likely reached our 99.2% (but who's counting?) totality, I noticed the bizarre look of the shadows across the deck.

eclipse1.jpg

eclipse2.jpg

I was standing in the yard, and it looked as though a birch tree had just appeared on the deck. The bark effect is from the crescent of the eclipse, I guess, but it all was just quite surreal at the moment. It looked like it was glowing.

A few minutes later, the effect began to fade, and it got warmer and brighter. At the moment, it's back to being very sunny and warm out there. Fun stuff!

Hosers, all I got were shadow pics from the eclipse. We had our glasses on and watched from the deck. It was so cool!!

It got darker - and cooler - then even darker. The birds were chattering and then it got quiet. And THEN - right about the time we likely reached our 99.2% (but who's counting?) totality, I noticed the bizarre look of the shadows across the deck.

View attachment 273493

View attachment 273494

I was standing in the yard, and it looked as though a birch tree had just appeared on the deck. The bark effect is from the crescent of the eclipse, I guess, but it all was just quite surreal at the moment. It looked like it was glowing.

A few minutes later, the effect began to fade, and it got warmer and brighter. At the moment, it's back to being very sunny and warm out there. Fun stuff!
Very cool, surreal shots. We didn't get any real effects up here in Calgary. I was ready and waiting! Alas...

Thanks! Sorry your area wasn't giving you any effects to view. A lot of hype, but it really is a bizarre thing to see. :)

Not half bad here, not 10000%, but enjoyable hanging with neighbors who, like us, left the laptops for a bit and a beer after 2. Montreal reportedly super impressive. Schools out today. Got extra glasses from B&H. Happy!

I guess the world didn't end and the sun didn't get completeley eaten. 😆

I was working form the dining room and the light seemed to get diffused, but it was a bit cloudy, so I'm not sure what the real cause was. Maybe I’ll catch the one in 20 years.

View attachment 273493

View attachment 273494

Theres a few crescents in there, still a cool effect.

Photos at the start and during the 97%ish I took the moon photo with the glasses over the lens. Heavily cropped and added to the landscape photo.

040824_001wSM.jpg
040824_019wSM.jpg

@CherylL - excellent image showing the bizarre dim light - nicely done! It can be hard to describe, but your mind just knows "something isn't right."

No wonder our ancestors were freaked out. :lol: We know exactly what's happening now and it's still a thrill!

@CherylL - excellent image showing the bizarre dim light - nicely done! It can be hard to describe, but your mind just knows "something isn't right."

No wonder our ancestors were freaked out. :lol: We know exactly what's happening now and it's still a thrill!
I knew I didn't have the right equipment going so went with this plan. Funny after I took a few photos with the glasses over my lens, a group of college students near us did the same with their cell phones. At our point at the nature center there were only 9 of us total. Very peaceful until a grass trimmer fired up across the street.

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He’ll make it whissle;
An’ legs, an’ arms, an’ heads will sned,
Like taps o’ thrissle.

Sorry about that. Sometimes I can’t help myself.

We were at about 90% cover. I was at work and everyone just gathered on the lawn to watch. It was cloudy, but it would peek out once in a while and I got a cell phone snap, nothing special. Looked kinda more like a picture of the moon.

Screenshot_20240410-204017.png

Most reactions

New Topics

Back