The death of C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reasoned thoughts, Charlie76. I seriously commend your attitude, accompanied by a necessary thick skin. Speaking as someone NEW to this forum, having seen for years how others work and don't work, I believe you may be in an enviable minority. CC from a thoughtful, respectful and well-meaning participant should be recognized as such, from those who selflessly wish to teach something they know and feel the OP could benefit from. It really depends on the commenter's altruism, with ego set aside. Again, from my experience in other forums, I feel those are also in an enviable minority. There are so many variables and risks, it is no wonder that at this time of frayed nerves and sensibilities, would-be commenters tend to take the safe path. And as you correctly and eloquently opine, it is lost opportunity.

Before retiring, I was certified to judge photographs for the PPA. Since I held the Master of Photography degree, many photographers sought my advice. However, it seems that on venues such as this, people ASK for suggestions and/or critiques...but that's not what they REALLY want. They want people to stroke their egos and tell them how great their work is or what a skilled photographer they are. If you try to give them suggestions for improvement...no matter how helpful... they get their feelings hurt. Therefore, I RARELY give criticism...even if it's asked for.

Cheryl: I checked your pictures and they're very creative. I find that more women shoot better than men because they're more concerned about aesthetics and others things beside mechanics that men seem more concerned with. They're not pixel peepers like the boys.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a men vs women thing, I think it’s more of a technical vs visual way of shooting. I definitely shoot and post process visually not technically. I tend to ignore technical critique if it gets too technical. I’m just not wired that way. When someone posts a critique wanting the photo in question to be tweaked to bring up the histogram to blah blah blah, I wonder to myself why not just shoot in auto then? Technical perfection is never my goal.

Before retiring, I was certified to judge photographs for the PPA. Since I held the Master of Photography degree, many photographers sought my advice. However, it seems that on venues such as this, people ASK for suggestions and/or critiques...but that's not what they REALLY want. They want people to stroke their egos and tell them how great their work is or what a skilled photographer they are. If you try to give them suggestions for improvement...no matter how helpful... they get their feelings hurt. Therefore, I RARELY give criticism...even if it's asked for.

In my experience such people are few and far between, they just stick in the mind more so than those who perhaps say nothing or those who say thanks.
In the end I think that for those who want to teach and help others its just as much "work" in finding those receptive to their comments as it is for those who are wanting critique in how they have to find those willing to comment.

That said if one or both sides stop hunting then the whole process grinds to a halt and no one gets any further nor what they really want.

That said, if the OP is satisfied, this particular thread could be closed and further suggestions be directed to our Feedback & Suggestions forum. We're looking at you, @zulu42

Yes quite satisfied. I'm gratified by the thoughtful responses from the membership and the ever-responsive staff. Much appreciated. I don't have any opinion about whether the thread is closed, but very kind of you to ask!

I'm late to the game, but I had a moment of "I should check in at the old Forum and see what's up" today so I popped in for the first time in a very long time. The reason I stopped popping in as frequently is lack of comments or critique especially when asked. Today I wanted something other than the fb crap and decided to see how everyone is doing. But to post an image and get crickets makes me not want to post.

Welcome back Twocolor!

Well post up some photos - heck we just opened a new critique gallery section!

Girls are more touchy-feely and photos speak to their heart more than us guys. Just the way it is.

Um, no... but an interesting opinion, no doubt. And a good topic for another thread...that would probably get shut down in less than an hour

I've been here a few years, still a newbie by every definition of the word. I was into photography classes, with film way back in high school, and have just recently been a position to start up with digital and get a DSLR. I don't always have the time to be on here as much as I would like to post as well as receive help. I understand where people are coming from when they say if some one doesn't seem to invest in the community why should I invest in them. However from a person in that situation, when I do get the chance to post I really appreciate the feed back, even if I don't have the time to post as often as I would like.

A few members have really helped me understand why some of my photos were "off" when I didn't understand why. For example on some zoom lenses how if you zoom all the way out it may be in focus, but soft. That cause me to do research on my equipment, finding out I have one that drops off quickly at the farthest reaches and that I need to dial it back just a bit to get the same reach but a sharper image.

I do read a lot of the forums here and try to apply what I notice, but sometimes I need to take the shot and have some one else come in and educate me on a different approach or "I see what you were going for, maybe take what you did and just tweak this instead".

Please don't give up on us just because we aren't here frequently or a low post count.

Please don't give up on us just because we aren't here frequently or a low post count.

It seems to me that it's more about the effort put in to individual posts by those who want critique, rather than newness or post count. Critique can take a bit of time and effort to give, so it's good to know the poster is invested in it and giving a bit of detail in the original post can go a long way.

Two of my 472 hobbies (at last count) are 18th century reenactment and Old-timey banjos music.

After decades of complaints that this or that was not common in that time period or you did not play that tune it like so and so did, I finally told the folks, this item may not be common but it was documented to the 18th century and my goal is to play the music as I think it was played back them.

So too my photography. I present it the way I want it, not the way others think it should be. Oh sure, if I am stumped because a photo does not reflect what I want, I will ask for opinions.

Except to compliment or ask a question about the subject, I rarely comment on the work of others unless they ask.

In short, how does anyone know what the other person was thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back