The first film I've shot in nearly 20 years - some snaps of my daughter

I agree that those film shots are fantastic. The focus on the eyes is bang-on and the bokeh is subtle and beautiful. The one thing I've always loved is the quality of grain film has. I can get that look with my DSLR, but only after some processing trickery in photoshop(I can get it to look like classic, high quality grain too! Not like gaudy digital noise!). I have a Canon EOS 50 and a K1000 and I love to sometimes just spend an afternoon with a 36 roll of B&W E6 and my Trusty K1000. Shooting with nothing but a simple light meter in my viewfinder for feedback is pretty scary sometimes!

Although to be fair here, the digital shot you posted wasn't in B&W and had a smaller aperture than the film shots did, so that may contribute to the reduced appeal. The lighting was also flatter and not as warm and intimate as the light in the scene in the film shots.

Nice. I've been thinking about getting an F100 myself...

Film is nice. I miss it in some ways. Of course, adding grain/noise to your digital products isn't a huge undertaking either.

I think compositonally, some are better than others. Like 2 and 3 looking up her nose isn't flattering.

I think 5 and 6 are the best of the series, I'm actually jealous of those. Nice captures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back