Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This also goes by the name of the "rule of thirds"
You can get overlays for most cameras - though it tends to be the high end ones that are made to accomodate such updates- the beginner line is less inclinded to be cooperative

35mm and APS-C formats are 2:3 aspect ratio rectangles. A golden rectangle (based on the golden ratio) has an aspect ratio of approximately 2:3.2 so it's already very close.

I think the ideas behind the golden ration, golden section, divine proportion, etc... are neat, but the common info seems a lot like astrology to me. If it works for you great! Serious studies on proportions used by artists and the influence they have on the viewers' perception of aesthetic quality show no conclusive proof that the golden ratio is any better than any other ratio.

It's just another try at fitting a relativistic world into Newtonian laws. (Euclidean actually- I think)

It 'sorta fits' but is not as elegant as it first appears. ;)

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." Weston

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." Weston

what? I can skip that part when I go out the door? That takes a few minutes of my morning routine...
:mrgreen:

pascal

what? I can skip that part when I go out the door? That takes a few minutes of my morning routine...

You might get to work faster by flying ....

I've a photographer friend whose obsessed with the Golden Ratio and I've read one or two things online about it.

http://cwlawrencephoto.blogspot.com/2006/04/golden-section-in-photo-composition.html

Anyone here try to apply this principle to their composition?

And if it's so good, why can't I trigger and rotate an overlay of the ratio on the viewfinder on my camera?

:D

It's associated with eugenics and selective human breeding from years back. I guess this is why there's no grid. It's also fairly complex and not something typically intuitive to normal people. ;) Even though it's MUCH older than current culture's associations, it has a bit of a black "magic" reputation that's followed it around in the past half century. For example one of it's basic forms is the pentagram. :p

Many of the pattern algorithms in the actual shape recognition and matching systems used for modern in-camera face tracking are based on it to some degree as well as the face scanners/trackers/ID they use in airports, on freeways, and in some street level pedestrian surveillance systems.

I always use it when I'm modeling human forms in 3D "cad" software for video animation unless it's 2|3 cartoon figures or celeb. caricatures or something. I haven't actively tried to harness it for composing photos but the way it actually works it should very often or almost always be there whether we're aware of it or not. It's kinda like how the rule of thirds can be applied to so many shots where it wasn't considered at all nor intended - but even more so as it has so many variant forms that appear in many naturally occurring shapes! From tiny insects to super nova.

I think it's interesting if you or someone can use some of the geometry for composition and framing. Why not?

Last edited:
Really? Hmm, sorry. I'll try to answer your questions if you're actually interested. I probably didn't phrase things in the most straightforward way possible. ;) Sorry about that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back