The Great Noise reduction challenge!

I can't see the point unless you are looking at prints
editing practice in case you need it how I am looking at it. You know for the few that actually might make it to print.
If its dark I shoot with my A7 good exposure and no need for noise reduction but 97% of my shots have grain which I don't want reducing
this isn't realistic for me. I shoot a lot in the dark and not all of it is long exposure at a hundred iso. I shoot right through up to 6400 at times.
Iso6400 is not that high
yes it is. I think it is anyway just by the image degradation .

I can't see the point unless you are looking at prints
editing practice in case you need it how I am looking at it. You know for the few that actually might make it to print.
If its dark I shoot with my A7 good exposure and no need for noise reduction but 97% of my shots have grain which I don't want reducing
this isn't realistic for me. I shoot a lot in the dark and not all of it is long exposure at a hundred iso. I shoot right through up to 6400 at times.
Iso6400 is not that high
yes it is. I think it is anyway just by the image degradation .

This is 6400iso no noise reduction

DSC01246-XL.jpg

and 16,000iso no noise reduction

DSC01243-XL.jpg

different camera, different conditions. I can get away with higher iso's in some light. Real low light the noise bugs come out especially with shadow recovery.

I ain't afraid of no grain.
horse2.jpg

different camera, different conditions. I can get away with higher iso's in some light. Real low light the noise bugs come out especially with shadow recovery.

You need too make sure you don't underexpose
no doubt. And I actually shoot such extremes I should probably have a full frame and take up stacking.. The 7100 is afraid of the dark. lmao

no doubt. And I actually shoot such extremes I should probably have a full frame and take up stacking.. The 7100 is afraid of the dark. lmao[/QUOTE]

The D7100 does just fine in the dark.

20140121_0169 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

BTW you're hijacking the tread ;)

horsey (1 of 1).jpg

Lightroom 4, sharpening 45, luminance noise 45, colour noise 30, sharpening and noise masks etc at default, lens profile ticked, tone curve set to medium, exported at 1048 pixels, output sharpening standard for screen, jpeg quality 100%

no doubt. And I actually shoot such extremes I should probably have a full frame and take up stacking.. The 7100 is afraid of the dark. lmao

The D7100 does just fine in the dark.

BTW you're hijacking the tread ;)[/QUOTE]
if you are that worried about it being hijacked why even respond and post a photo? haven't posted anything here but one horsey edit. And I shoot a lot at night. Given a year and thousands of frames I think if I say it doesn't like the dark that really isn't up for debate. you could disagree but I have shot It enough at night I really don't give a ratz ass what you think at this point...

Can't we all just get along?

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

Even after many years one should always be willing to hear new ideas and approaches. Might be someone presents a new idea/process/method/software that changes how you approach things.

If you're always closed to the idea of learning new things you won't ever learn them.

We talk about taking photos with the ISO set at a high number, like 6400 or higher, but we also need to keep in mind about the amount of light available to capture the shot. We know the noise comes in if the LIGHT IS LOW and the ISO is needed to capture the information but what if the light is sufficient, do we still get noise?

We talk about taking photos with the ISO set at a high number, like 6400 or higher, but we also need to keep in mind about the amount of light available to capture the shot. We know the noise comes in if the LIGHT IS LOW and the ISO is needed to capture the information but what if the light is sufficient, do we still get noise?

Yes. If you raise the ISO the result is noisier than if you don't raise the ISO. Regardless of the available light. The amount of noise increases with the increasing ISO.

Joe

Yes. If you raise the ISO the result is noisier than if you don't raise the ISO. Regardless of the available light. The amount of noise increases with the increasing ISO.

Joe
Maybe not because you could be underexposed and will get more noise

OK, did the experiment and Tsarex is exactly right. Even though the light is sufficient and the same for each shot, the noise jacks up as you crank up the ISO. At 6400 it was not that noticeable but at 12000 and HI it was very noisy.

Most reactions

Back