The Killing Fields

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently watched the movie, The Killing Fields. In the movie, they need to make a passport photo in a very short time with limited resources. John Malkovich plays the part of a photojournalist who tries to accomplish the task. Something goes wrong. Does anyone know what happened? Why did the photo turn out blank? Was it not fixed properly?

Traveler - I don't understand. Can you elaborate. What is the tube thing? Can you provide more detail as to what you think (or know) to have gone wrong with the passport photo?

The movie is a pumped-up-for-the-movies story that is based on real events. Sidney Schoenberg may still write for the NY Times and Dith Pran may still be a photojournalist. Unfortunately Haing Ngor, the actor who portrayed Pran, was murdered several years ago.

I don't recollect the film perfectly, but I do remember the excitement when John Malkovitch was able to get a print for Pran's passport but the print quickly blackened when it was exposed to light. This is typical of a photographic print when it has not been rinsed in a stop bath and 'fixed'. I don't remember if this was a direct print or they somehow got a negative first but if you are interested in the chemistry of the process, here is a good link that gives a rundown on how this entire thing works - http://www.cheresources.com/photochem.shtml

I was being facetious about the 'tube things' and meant by that, different lenses to use. I am not a 'gearhead' but I am loyal to the Nikon stuff that I use.

This question was posted at a coincidental moment. I am just preparing to leave next Tuesday for 5 weeks in Cambodia and Laos and will be visiting those killing fields described in the movie.

If you are interested in photography, this is the best site I have ever come across. TPF has a wide range of involved participants whose skills range from very beginners with point & shoot cameras to seasoned professionals with the highest calibre of expensive equipment. You can get help and comment on your photos and develop your skills.

If it turned black rapidly in light it means there was still developer on the print. A print that is developed and stopped, but not fixed would darken over time, but not right before your eyes.

Most reactions

Back