The Kit Lens

Discussion in 'Pentax Lenses' started by pez, Oct 6, 2015.

1. pez

pez No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm still impressed with the new SMC DA L 18-50 DC WR RE kit lens that I reluctantly acquired in a bundle with my GREAT K-S2. However, I've come to use it as it's the only WR lens I have- for a kit zoom, it really performs! Sharp edge to edge. An example- off-hand shot on the K-S2, 50mm, f5.6 wide open, ISO 400:
    [​IMG]

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Based on what I read on dPreview, the Pentax 18-55 kit zoom is the world's shortest zoom lens for a d-slr, measuring just 41mm in its collapsed state! Collapsible Pentax-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE claims title of world's shortest zoom This is one of the most expensive kit-range zooms that I know of, so it ought to be a good performer. Several years ago, I recall that dPreview reviewed the old "standard" Pentax kit zoom, and they said it was the best-built kit lens they had ever tested...not cheap and flimsy-feeling like Nikon and Canon kit zooms so often are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pez

pez No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's one with the same combo, about a 50% crop, 50mm f5.6, that I took yesterday. Note lack of fringing (backlit).

[​IMG]

4. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Pentax makes great glass for sure. I loved my 50mm m1.7 on my K1000, I am giving it away. I worked it hard and its still ticking. A girl I know has that lens, KS2, and the 200mm zoom. Her photos are flipping sharp like yours. I am trying to get her back on this site.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk