The Megapixel Race.......Nikon's next step?

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canon raises the bar to 50. I wonder if Nikon will try to match it or put the energy into improving on their already awesome dynamic range. Personally, I would have to think long and hard about upgrading to anything with more resolution than the d800.

I think Nikons next step should be a medium format DSLR to compete with the Pentax offering.
I am getting the feeling that at this point, there would be issues with diminishing returns with further MP upgrades.
i just dont see pictures actually getting much better between 36 mp and 50 mp...so what would the point be of 70 mp?
they should just go medium format.

Instead of increasing mp count or increasing sensor size, they should just include features that photographers really want: a hypnotic device to convince clients to pay for more pictures.

I think they could do the same as Leica, have no screen to view the pictures but Nikon shooters wouldn't be able to manage without a screen

Well Nikon is on the tail end of their release cycle so odds of seeing anything big out of them won't happen for another couple years. Canon is just starting their big new releases so you can expect more.

On a side note, it really isn't a "race" between the two brands, more like a game of leapfrog. One brand leads for a bit, then they switch.

The PSD files can get large enough and suck up enough RAM inside PS on the D800 as it is. With 50mp, you'll need a pretty decent PC and plenty of backup storage for the RAW + PSD files. I dare say in a year or so, we'll see something equally or more extreme from Nikon. Personally I wish they'd focus more on dynamic range, ISO performance and shutter speed on these larger resolution cameras. Maybe a global/electronic shutter and increased sync speeds for great control of ambient light with flash. I think that would be my favourite feature improvement.

Large resolution cameras certainly have their merits. The ability to crop in after the fact as well as printing large scale images. Still, you're going to need some serious glass to match those resolutions. I can get acceptable images from the D800 with the old 50mm f/1.8D. If it was larger than 36MP, I think I'd have to splurge on the Sigma Art, which is about 6 times more expensive.

Well Nikon is on the tail end of their release cycle so odds of seeing anything big out of them won't happen for another couple years. Canon is just starting their big new releases so you can expect more.

On a side note, it really isn't a "race" between the two brands, more like a game of leapfrog. One brand leads for a bit, then they switch.
That's my favorite game!

...Maybe a global/electronic shutter and increased sync speeds for great control of ambient light with flash....
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikon's never played in the MF game, I can't see them starting now. Something else I would LOVE to see are LOWER base ISOs (assuming they came with a corresponding improvement in noise, detail, etc. I would love to be able to shoot 25 & 50 ASA equivalent again.

We can only hope it becomes a reality. Imagine syncing at 1/1000 sec or higher. Droooooooool! Wide aperture flash shots without the need for ND filters to control the ambient.
Suuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

My gut feeling ?
Yes Nikon will replace the "small" 36MP sensor on the D820 with a 50MP+ sensor.
I dont care, as long as they will continue to make good general use camera with 24MP (or so) sensors then I am happy.
I like good resolution so I can crop if needed my pictures but I also like good low light performance and I think 24MP is a good place to stay and just keep improving those low light high ISO performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back