The next generation will never see it

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Due to global warming we will lose and are losing many plants, insects and animal. How does it make you feel that you as a photographer will be the last to see and be able to document a lot of these organisms ever again? And how do you feel to the loss of all of this natural irreplaceable treasure we stand to irrevocably lose?

I personally feel a great pain for all the suffering my living standards have caused other organisms.

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly, sometimes I think about it, then I remember natural selection evolution and think about when I read Darwin.
its all meant to change. im more concerned with photographing old buildings and old photographs of times lost.
we go through another ice age the majority of it is dead anyway. Cant stop fate. photograph what you can, when you can. Make that record. That record is VERY important.

honestly, sometimes I think about it, then I remember natural selection evolution and think about when I read Darwin.
its all meant to change. im more concerned with photographing old buildings and old photographs of times lost.
we go through another ice age the majority of it is dead anyway. Cant stop fate. photograph what you can, when you can. Make that record. That record is VERY important.

I agree with what you said to a point. Nature is ever changing and puts a stop to many of its creatures all the time. But the difference between nature and human beings is that we have a conscience, nature is just a objective force with no biases, as sentient beings we dont have that same excuse.

I agree with what you said to a point. Nature is ever changing and puts a stop to many of its creatures all the time. But the difference between nature and human beings is that we have a conscience, nature is just a objective force with no biases, as sentient beings dont have that same excuse.
we are not above nature and are not separate from it. A lot of people take the perspective we are. It is a version of egoism imo. we die like everything else and go back to dirt. The unbiased objective force is the truth in the creation. Philosophically it can be considered "the way" or the tao it is abundant in many versions and is found throughout history with many peoples. It is the way of all things. The understood flow of the universe and how things work. Humans are but a pebble in the sea. This is much my faith. Pick up the dust, blow it out of your hand watch it dissipate in the wind. That is the "way". It is acceptance of life and death and the nature of all things..
The unbiased objective force you speak of, is the truth. The conscience you speak of, is the false.

Due to global warming we will lose and are losing many plants, insects and animal. How does it make you feel that you as a photographer will be the last to see and be able to document a lot of these organisms ever again? And how do you feel to the loss of all of this natural irreplaceable treasure we stand to irrevocably lose?

I personally feel a great pain for all the suffering my living standards have caused other organisms.

Well you'll have to forgive me for pointing out that this might really be a great topic of discussion for a forum on politics, climate change, etc - really not such a great topic of conversation for a photography forum. Particularly considering how politically charged the topic is by it's very nature.

MOD notice - thread gets one notice to not go into politics. Anyone caught deliberately trying to get it closed by doing so will likely get a ruler over their knuckles.

MOD notice - thread gets one notice to not go into politics. Anyone caught deliberately trying to get it closed by doing so will likely get a ruler over their knuckles.
yeah umm. On topic. Take lots of photos.....

there can be only one!

seriously though...
most of the time, people only care about saving the cute animals anyway....
As long as the tasty ones survive.

this is really only relevant (on a photography level) if you are taking pictures of endangered species. Or, even know what is on the list.
I suppose if you WANT to start documenting animals, you should probably start now, before we lose more.

Well you'll have to forgive me for pointing out that this might really be a great topic of discussion for a forum on politics, climate change, etc - really not such a great topic of conversation for a photography forum. Particularly considering how politically charged the topic is by it's very nature.

I personally think that there are no hobbies that won't be affected by the warming of the globe, we'll lose a lot of great animals, interesting and beautiful plant speciments that we take for granted right now. I mean what if instead of of a gorrila you could have taken a picture of a real life Brontosaurus? Wouldn't that be an awesome thing? Future generations are going to say the same thing about gorillas: "wouldn't it be awesome if we could take a picture of a gorilla?" It affects photography a big deal.

there can be only one!

seriously though...

this is really only relevant (on a photography level) if you are taking pictures of endangered species. Or, even know what is on the list.
I suppose if you WANT to start documenting animals, you should probably start now, before we lose more.

I agree that we only care for the tasty and cute animals and the ones we like. But without all the "ugly" ones we won't be around either. We evolved together with the "beautiful" and "ugly" organisms, and if they slowly die off, then we will too.

I personally think that there are no hobbies that won't be affected by the warming of the globe, we'll lose a lot of great animals, interesting and beautiful plant speciments that we take for granted right now. I mean what if instead of of a gorrila you could have taken a picture of a real life Brontosaurus? Wouldn't that be an awesome thing? Future generations are going to say the same thing about gorillas: "wouldn't it be awesome if we could take a picture of a gorilla?" It affects photography a big deal.

The difficulty being that until A is proven B becomes all conjecture and wild theory at best, hence the huge problem with this entire line of discussion in that many do not share your apparent view that A is a proven fact - not even remotely close. Unfortunately that entire line of discussion jumps instantly and irrevocably into the arena of politics, which frankly has no place here.

So you'll forgive me but I chose to bow out now. As an ex-boxer I've already had every knuckle on both hands broken, some several times - so I'll just take a big pass on the whole thing.

Ironic though, that the reason I can't take a picture of the dinosaur in the first place was thanks to global cooling. Got a good chuckle out of that one.

Enjoy folks. Lol

there can be only one!

seriously though...

I agree that we only care for the tasty and cute animals and the ones we like. But without all the "ugly" ones we won't be around either. We evolved together with the "beautiful" and "ugly" organisms, and if they slowly die off, then we will too.

its not always a bad thing though....
the dinosaurs didnt live long enough for us to see either.
in all reality, the human race dying off would probably benefit the planet far more than anything we have done to "help" over the last millennia.

maybe thats why selfies are so popular now. its a subconscious act of preservation.

The difficulty being that until A is proven B becomes all conjecture and wild theory at best, hence the huge problem with this entire line of discussion in that many do not share your apparent view that A is a proven fact - not even remotely close. Unfortunately that entire line of discussion jumps instantly and irrevocably into the arena of politics, which frankly has no place here.

So you'll forgive me but I chose to bow out now. As an ex-boxer I've already had every knuckle on both hands broken, some several times - so I'll just take a big pass on the whole thing.

Ironic though, that the reason I can't take a picture of the dinosaur in the first place was thanks to global cooling. Got a good chuckle out of that one.

Enjoy folks. Lol
I think you are right, this is gonna lead to unwanted political discussion i really didn't set out to have. And as a side note: global warming is not what you think it is. The name is what confuses most people.

there can be only one!

seriously though...

its not always a bad thing though....
the dinosaurs didnt live long enough for us to see either.
in all reality, the human race dying off would probably benefit the planet far more than anything we have done to "help" over the last millennia.

maybe thats why selfies are so popular now. its a subconscious act of preservation.

I don't disagree with that nihilistic approach, it doesn't have to be that way. I mean i remember a time where we were using plastic bags for groceries which ended up in the sea never degrading, now we use reusable bags and plastic bags are banned. Or where i live recycling has been enforced for over 20 years now, every Belgian citizen must recycle under penalty of a fine or even prison time. I mean we can do a GREAT deal to change the outcome. It doesn't have to be out of our hands.

Enjoy folks. Lol
I think you are right, this is gonna lead to unwanted political discussion i really didn't set out to have. And as a side note: global warming is not what you think it is. The name is what confuses most people.
no its climate change which evitably leads to global cooling.
i need to pick myself up a warmer llbean jacket.. i wonder how cold a camera can get... hmmm.
lots more photos of snow...
wont have to worry about all those tree leafs in the way anymore.
Good time to touch up on the winter photography skills and buy some snow shoes.
polar bears might be happy as a big in **** when they move in to florida.
all in how you see it.
i feel bad for all those warm weather bugs (not) perhaps i should get into macro and shoot bugs before they start going extinct.
might as well leave the exposure bumped up for all that reflective ice and snow. Perhaps nikon will come out with a camera with built in hand warming?
wont have to pick up the shutter speed anymore to freeze those rivers and waterfalls in motion.. look at all the bright sides. winter olympics photographs year round!!

Most reactions

Back