The Place I Grew Up.

BYoung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always think I want out of this cold place in Northern Canada... Then I take pictures like this and think "why am I so cheap... this would be so much better with a 10-22mm" Took these tonight with 18-55mm Kit Lens, no PP done but reducing there size for Flickr.

C&C Welcome as always. (Bigger versions on my Flickr)

2320532898_9d2eeae384.jpg

2319720677_948687d040.jpg

very nice!!

Thats something I've always wanted to see

Lucky you, to be able to see the Northern Lights often! I've seen the dancing green kind only once,* and was in awe. And couldn't get a half decent picture because I was on a moving ship.

(*Ontario sometimes gets minor, whitish lights, but nothing like the dancing, shimmering green ones. And I've heard the Northern Lights can be red or purple too!)

Yes the can be really any color but it is just random. These ones had bright white spots but they were moving so fast they blurred themselves. You can't tell but 3/4 of the sky was lit up dancing with these things.

I took 90 pictures of these lights. I am still sorting some but after a quick look I decided to share these 2.

You can tell from the pics there are a lot of green lights.

Do you get bored of them, or is it still a thrill when you see them?

Normally they aren't huge and bright like this. I've taken lots of pictures of them and they just looked like crap on my computer, since they weren't bright enough. Sometimes it looks like there is dark green clouds blowing around if you notice them. I'm sure there is lots I can't see due to clouds and stuff. They happen the most in the spring & fall, must have something to do with our angle to the sun.

As far as getting excited about them. Honestly I didn't before I started into photography. I would see them and would think they are awesome but then go about what I was doing again. But now (esp. this night) I went out of my way to get these pictures. I work at an airport so I have free roam of the place (minus the runways of coarse). So if there is something nice in the sky I always go out there.

I missed dinner with my family to get these pictures :p

Most reactions

Back