The Ravages of Time

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Gatsby, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Gatsby

Gatsby TPF Noob!

Hey all,

The time has come to put my money where my mouth is! Having offered critique on a few of your photos, here's one of mine!!

This was taken at dusk, and is straight out of the camera -

Fire away please ....

[​IMG]

2. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I think it's about half a step away from being a very powerful image. I guess my thought is that it seems to exist in a vacuum. It looks like it should have such a story behind it, but because the subject simply fills the frame I don't get any sense of the rest. In fact, the far right side of the frame is clipped a bit. I'd like to see this shot pulled way back, with a big powerful sky and a view of what looks to be the fields/woods behind the building.

3. Gatsby

Gatsby TPF Noob!

Thanks John,

It was impossible to get a wide shot of the front of this house, it is on a VERY busy 3 lane road with a 50 mph speed limit!!

This is the building you can just see on the left side of photo #1.

[​IMG]

#2 also straight out the camera!

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Hmm, yeah, sometimes those obstacles will bite you in the butt. ;-) I definitely like #1 more of the two of them. It seems to have more of a story to tell. Also, #1 has such great rich earthy tones, whereas #2 is dark to the point where I have to strain to make out details (that might just be due to the small size on my monitor though).

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like this first photo just the way it is, just the dilapidated house in the golden evening sun. The lighting does it for me. Therefore I would not need to see any more. The caption plus house as it presents itself here tells enough of a story, I think.

Actually, I might have move up close to the wall that's getting all the sunlight to take up really close close-up of the broken plaster and red bricks underneath - I think...