The Ravages of Time

Gatsby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

The time has come to put my money where my mouth is! Having offered critique on a few of your photos, here's one of mine!!

This was taken at dusk, and is straight out of the camera -

Fire away please ....

29467510.ravages.jpg

I think it's about half a step away from being a very powerful image. I guess my thought is that it seems to exist in a vacuum. It looks like it should have such a story behind it, but because the subject simply fills the frame I don't get any sense of the rest. In fact, the far right side of the frame is clipped a bit. I'd like to see this shot pulled way back, with a big powerful sky and a view of what looks to be the fields/woods behind the building.

Thanks John,

It was impossible to get a wide shot of the front of this house, it is on a VERY busy 3 lane road with a 50 mph speed limit!!

This is the building you can just see on the left side of photo #1.

29956850.P5230248w.jpg

#2 also straight out the camera!

Hmm, yeah, sometimes those obstacles will bite you in the butt. ;-) I definitely like #1 more of the two of them. It seems to have more of a story to tell. Also, #1 has such great rich earthy tones, whereas #2 is dark to the point where I have to strain to make out details (that might just be due to the small size on my monitor though).

I like this first photo just the way it is, just the dilapidated house in the golden evening sun. The lighting does it for me. Therefore I would not need to see any more. The caption plus house as it presents itself here tells enough of a story, I think.

Actually, I might have move up close to the wall that's getting all the sunlight to take up really close close-up of the broken plaster and red bricks underneath - I think...

Most reactions

Back