The Result of a Horribly unprofessional Designer, A few Model Shots

MyaLover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have been planning this shoot for months now right, 2 designers (1 designer had arranged this with me, ask me to do it specifically for her designs, the other one, was just kinda a tag a long) 8 models, and me and my "assistant". It was all planned, weather was great. Then 15 MINUTES before the shoot, the main designer calls and says she was sick.:playball: I was livid. :madmad: She was such a flake. :irked: So no point in doing a shoot for her line when she is "sick". My true feeling is she is a procrastinator and didnt have her line finished. MONTHS she has know about this. :angry1: Anyways.... So the models were contacted and told it was canceled due to her lack of professionalism. Well 3 of them called me back about an hour later and asked if i would still take photos of them. :mrgreen: So here are a few from that shoot. C&C as always

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4267color.jpg

IMG_4228desat.jpg

IMG_4185edit2.jpg

Last edited:
Im going to be quite critical of your work if thats ok.... please dont take any of it the wrong way, i think you have improved alot in recent months, but good criticism of your work and how you go about it may push you to improve further.

First of all the job. I was really surprised when i read that the models payed you .... again im not saying your a bad photographer, but put it this way.... i know several semi-pros and even pros that provide a 'you scratch my back i'll scratch yours' service. Basically the models give thier time and patience to show up and model for the photographer... in return the photographer gets to shoot good models to experiment with and to add the best shots to thier portfolio. Its a win/win situation.... and to me you need this practice if your serious about becoming more than just an amature photographer.

Next the images.
#1: The shadows are too harsh for me and the fall off too visable. You have a double shadow on the nose and no light on the hair. I think a backlight would have helped the image.
The reflective material isn't a good choice when you don't have many lights to work with, the result is a reflection caused by a direct light source.

#2: I quite like the pose but the lighting doesn't quite work. Her face is in too much shadow and she seems a little soft.

#3: pose is a little awkward in the frame, moving more right and slightly up would have given a more balenced angle. Her eyes have too much PP, and her skin is also a little overdone.

#4: Fun idea... and does work in the sense that it is a casual/fun pose... however her arms do look a little strange with such strong fall off.

Overall, I think if your going to graduate yourself to payed work i think you need to spend more time studying the technical aspect of photography, none of these images would belong in a model portfolio.
Having said this i think your time spent on this forum to date has worked very well for you and you continue to improve. :thumbup:

The overall impression is quite striking. Well done.

I'd suggest burning (darkening) out the detail in the top left of 3. It feels a tiny bit tight on the right hand side, but that might be what you are going for. The shadows of her left arm are a little harsh, and they form graphic elements that seem out of place with the rest of the picture.

The brolly in 2 looks a bit bright to me. The trick with these kind of shots is to make it look like she is being lit by the 'practical' (the source within the shot) while in reality she is being lit by a similar source just out of shot. In that way you can get independent control of the brightness of the practical and of the light on her.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
Thank you for all that great feedback! For model shoots, i never get paid, i almost always do time for prints. These were taken in an enclosed stair well that lead to a dam, hard to explain but it has absolutely no light and it was pouring rain, so lights werent an option. I was not quite prepared for this shoot, but I did the best with what I had. There are a couple more on my flickr if you wouldnt mind checking them out. But there are also more here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morgan-Boss-Photography/8408668310

Thanks again for all that feedback! It was very helpful

Last edited:
make sure you do contracts with clients, this will protect you from clients that flake on you. I always put that 25% of the estimate must be paid if the shoot is canceled without 48hr notice OR client does a no call no show. It a good way to ensure they show.

good ideas here, but i think you need to know when to stop with your post processing. It's really distracting and detrimental to a lot of your images, which is a shame.

That said, i do think you're really creative and have the potential to be a really good photographer. So keep it up :)

I looked at the pix on FB...I think their faces are WAY over done...that's just my opinion though. I personally don't like them when they're that PP.

I also think that you have potential and listening to advice given here will only help you.
However, I have to point out that in your OP you ranted about how the designer was unprofessional and you even told the models this, you then say:

I was not quite prepared for this shoot,

how is that professional to come to a shoot you knew about months in advance and you were not prepared for it. Had the designer showed up and the shoot went as planned and these were the results, the designer would have be pissed right off. Then you would have been the one with the "unprofessional" title being slung around you.
I'm just saying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back