The Retired Dude

KizaHood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
kizahood.8m.com
I'm really puzzled about this one...
While I don't see anything exiting about it, this one was selected to be exibited in one photo exibition by some award winning photographers.

So what is the truth - am I unfairly underestimating a good photo or...

(now you)
KizaHood-Penzioner.jpg

Zenit KM, Fuji Superia 400, f5.6, 1/250s, PS: a little warming

Nothing exciting to me either. Maybe B&W would inhance the feel a bit and I can stretch to place a story on the tractor but I have no reason to do so. The background has too much going on and is becoming a distraction. I'm not much to nit picking technical aspects but it looks like there is way to much contrast.

i was thinking it is not the pic that makes it cool it is whats in the pic that is a cool old farm toy do you know what is worth i would post it on ebay

What kind of awards did they win?

It's pretty washed out. Decrepit farm equipment and cars are probably high on most top 10 lists for what you would see in many photo contests, along with waterfalls, sunsets, and pretty girls.

When I worked at the photo lab photo contest entrants would often ask my opinion about which were their best photos. I always had to ask them "Do you want to know what I think are your best photos? Or which ones do I think have the best chance of placing in the average photo contest?" There was usually a big difference between the two.

Hmmm, I think you're right regarding exposure/color, because the original photo was too blue (lack of yellow filter at the scene), so I tried to make it right. And it looks right, but on my monitor only, as my monitor shows other people's photos underexposed...

And the photo that exibition holders do have is the 7x10" print from the film, where the lab tehnician (a good one!) removed much of the blue coloring.

@TheCanonMan: Huh, maybe some German museum might offer over $1,000, as the tractor is German classic (unfortunatelly in poor condition), but the present owner is not interesting in sale.

@ksmattfish: Very interesting point! I admit, it didn't cross my mind.

Most reactions

Back