The sad difference in what I saw in the LCD and what was...

Tyjax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jwtyler.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought these looked great in the LCD sigh... not so much. Tell me what you think.
002ca-2.jpg

003ca-2.jpg

004ca-2.jpg

Under exposed generally. Check.
Poor saturation. Check.
Blown out the interesting bits of flitered sun. Check.
GRR.
I like the poses. I like the setting and framing. I like the model.

First one the autofocus focused on her cleavage.

Third one looks like the camera may have moved during the exposure.

All three have high noise to me.

What were you using? Point and shoot?

First one the autofocus focused on her cleavage.

Third one looks like the camera may have moved during the exposure.

All three have high noise to me.

What were you using? Point and shoot?

PFFF. Point and shoot. THats it... we gonna fight! You and me till someone drops their film cannisters. LOL Geez. That bad eh? Yeah I guess you are right...

HA. BTW, manual lens that autofocuser musta been my eye... (modest blush) Damn lens. :lol:

1mp point and shoot? haha

serious noise issues, poor lighting...ill stop there :)

i hate when it looks good on the lcd then turns out crappy...

theres always next time!

Okay, a look at your EXIF data reveals some of the causes. First off, you've selected centre-weighted metering, unfortunately, your bright spots are in the middle of the image. Matrix metering would likely have been a better choice, as would spot metering several areas and doing the exposure math yourself.

Your white balance is "Daylight", it should definitely be shade. As well, your auto-sharpening is set to 'Hard'. I'd suggest taking some time to re-evaluate your cameras settings.

Keep at it! You've made a good start!

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

First one the autofocus focused on her cleavage.?

You say that like it's a bad thing... :) Just Kidding. With a woman as beautiful as her, anything but focus on her face is selling her short.

I am a beginner, so my critique is probably not very good. But I will say that I think these would benefit from some fill flash, but it could be that they wouldn't. The lighting, as you said is very uneven, so these shots are VERY difficult to take, but I think with some artificial fill, this would be a little less obvious (and maybe give you just enough contrast to get what you were looking for. Lighting is very difficult to master, so don't feel bad. Even professionals struggle with their lighting.

There noise and white balance have been talked about, but for some reason the first one seems kind of soft, too. But I think it may be me.

Once again, I think that you are being a little hard on yourself, cause these photos are okay, even if you feel they aren't as good as they could be. But that's part of the process, and many people would love to claim these as their own. And I'm sure with a model like you have, the opportunities to take photos will be plentiful, so keep shooting, and keep posting your images! :)

I've been tricked into believing the photo I took was good from a first chimping the tiny screen, too, and tiny photos tend to forgive you about everything, but as soon as you see their larger version, all their flaws jump out at you. So you are not alone!

Next to everything that's been mentioned before, I first saw the green cast given by the foliage of the trees you were under when you had your little session, that would need to be worked on in pp, I think, to give her back a more healthy looking skin tone.

With regards to composition I must think of my father's very first photography tip he gave my sister and me when we were little: move up close to your subject!

You did.
And moved a little too close in 2, so cut off her back and most of all her one foot and the toes of her other foot. Poor girl! Must hurt! ;)

Believe me, I still quite often take my dad's tip from 40 years back too much to heart today, too, and only focus on the eyes and don't observe the edges of my frame (has happened to me ever so often while I took the swim meet pics two weekends ago!!! to be seen here ). But sometimes it is wiser to leave some more of a margin and maybe even allow oneself to consider cropping the photo to it's optimum composition later, than cut into limbs. Just my thoughts.

This is incredible criticisms! I love it. SO helpful. THIS is what I remember TPF being... not the somewhat addled posts I have been seeing as average. :p)

The model is a fellow photographer. A very, very, good one. She is also one of my dearest friends. So I will indeed be re shooting.

TiredIron, Senor, and Lafoto thank you so much for some thought material.
(begin tounge in cheek) Nymtber all I can say is when your sig has a real camera in it.... (end humor) Jus kiddin... :)

Oh. and if I had just had the darn histogram up I could have seen the low tonage. But this was a really impromptu sitting. I took her camera away and said "Sit please" She is a willing model and I intend to get her in better lighting soon. She is professional and very good. She's got lots of schooling in this stuff. Unlike me. You can see her material at www.catherinewidemire.com. Ah well, someday I will be good.

Oh, and I diagnosed the noise issues. Pushing. These were shot at 250 ISO and were not exposed well and I pushed the exposure in Camera Raw. TADA noise... And the first is DEFINITELY soft.

Yah, that's me. THIS is the guy I warned all of you about. But apparently you all know him TOO well already. lol

I'm glad you are all enjoying my cleavage.

Now back to shooting....... Cat.

A wee while ago, PMing was changed and does not work with too new members, Tyjax. Sorry about that. It requires so-and-so many posts (and I don't even know HOW many) until it establishes itself.

Nice to meet you, Catherine! :D
Oh, and Tyjax, have you really been here since 2003??? Where have you hidden all the while???

Ha. Knew that. FOrgot it. Sheesh. yup been here since 2003. But I stopped being active about 3 years ago or so... maybe more... life an all you know. Now I have catherine at work to do all my work so I have some free time.

Most reactions

Back