The Staggering Collapse of the Camera Market

I'm not entirely certain I'd want such features in a camera....
I would...

Use case 1 - My daughters party. She wants good pics on instagram / snapchat / etc during the party. I snap away taking 1024 x 768 on my good camera using 4G connection.

Use case 2 - I am taking landscapes in full res. Delete rejected pics / get within Wi-Fi range / PP with Irfanview or similar (apply several layers of processing with a single saved workflow) post to 500px or whatever. All within camera.

I am not OCD with processing pics and I dont get paid for them but that accounts for 90% of the pic taking population and excludes pro users.

I'm not entirely certain I'd want such features in a camera....
I would...

Use case 1 - My daughters party. She wants good pics on instagram / snapchat / etc during the party. I snap away taking 1024 x 768 on my good camera using 4G connection.

Use case 2 - I am taking landscapes in full res. Delete rejected pics / get within Wi-Fi range / PP with Irfanview or similar (apply several layers of processing with a single saved workflow) post to 500px or whatever. All within camera.

I am not OCD with processing pics and I dont get paid for them but that accounts for 90% of the pic taking population and excludes pro users.
Case 1. Teach you daughter the meaning of the word patience. Good things come to those who wait. Kids these days feel the need for instant gratification.

Case 2. To many people these days feel the need to just be average. Perhaps that comes from a need for instant gratification, or perhaps they just don't want to learn what they need to do to be above average. What ever the reason it is an indication of their character and upbringing. That whole "oh it's good enough" attitude.

Besides you can get what you want now, you just have to pay for it.

Case 1. Teach you daughter the meaning of the word patience

Aha thats where I have been going wrong!! Teenage picture taking accounts for about 90% of the total of all pics taken on a daily basis. Their use of a photo is the same as a spoken word. Its used and forgotten in an instant. Its not the same use as I have for a photograph but it a valid use of photography nonetheless.

Case 2. To many people these days feel the need to just be average.
I count myself to be not average. I am me. My take on photography is not a subject of judgement by other people. Some people like what I do and many more dont really care. Either way photography is a hobby and I get exactly what I want from it.

Case 1. Teach you daughter the meaning of the word patience

Aha thats where I have been going wrong!! Teenage picture taking accounts for about 90% of the total of all pics taken on a daily basis. Their use of a photo is the same as a spoken word. Its used and forgotten in an instant. Its not the same use as I have for a photograph but it a valid use of photography nonetheless.
A new definition for the word meaningless.

I count myself to be not average. I am me. My take on photography is not a subject of judgement by other people. Some people like what I do and many more dont really care. Either way photography is a hobby and I get exactly what I want from it.
Apparently not since wifi is already available. Why aren't you using it?

A new definition for the word meaningless

Apparently not since wifi is already available. Why aren't you using it?

Wow, have I hit a nerve or something?

I am pointing out that photography is different for everyone holding a device that produces electronic images. My view is as stated and is not meaningless. Photography has evolved into a form of communication popular with a large section of the worlds population. This particular form does not require the perfect picture and does require filters that add bunny ears.
I would like to connect my camera directly to a selection of apps that allow me to take a pic then add my own editing via a "IN CAMERA" workflow where the last step is a transfer to the chosen web site. Connecting a camera to a computer via Wi-Fi seems a waste of effort.

Nope, just never understood people wanting everything including the kitchen sink in a camera. More to go wrong. More expensive and why should the majority of consumers waste money on something that they don't want/need/or will use just for a few. Especially when a lot of the things people want stuffed into the camera already exists as an accessory.

As for editing, laptops suck for editing purposes, the tiny uncalibrated screen on a camera is worse than just sucky for editing. As they would say on Space Balls, that idea has gone to ludicrous speed.

But is it as useful as a Samsung phone for starting a fire if you are lost in the woods?

Maybe. The last digital camera I bought was a Nikon Coolpix. It still makes better pictures than my Samsung7, although the Samsung7 does have an impressive camera and it is generally with you and you can listen to music on it plus it is a phone.

Also what do you want to do with the picture? If you immediately want to attach a "selfi" to a message and send it to friends then maybe the smart phones is better.

Sports-Illustrated has JUST published its first-ever cover image taken with a phone camera. Seriously! On Facebook, S-I is pushing a bunch of free content from a 20-year veteran named..well, here, let me paste a snippet from only one aspect of the Sports-Illustrated stuff they are paying to promote...

"Photographer Michael J Le Brecht II uses the Moto Z™ Droid and Hasselblad True Zoom Moto Mod™ to snap the first-ever SI cover shot on a Smartphone."

Interestingly, they show him in a photo above that caption, shooting the tall-aspect image, using a lightstand, and an umbrella bracket, to satbilize the phone-camera...not a tripod, but a light stand, with a tilting, plastic, umbrella mounting bracket on the lightstand, and the camera being stabilized by this set-up. To his right is a heavy-duty boom on a big thick stand, and some kinda' light apparently off the end of the boom arm...

This is Hasselblad's newest "camera market" effort...a snap-on, 10x, optical zoom camera accessory for the Moto-Z droid line.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back