There's Pixels and then there's Pixels

Don Fischer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've heard that said but never really got it. I've wanted a point and shoot for a long time to carry bird hunting to photograph my dogs. Carrying even a small light DSLR doesn't cut it. So recently I found a Nikon S6900 at the Bi Mart and got it. It does take nice photo's and has, I think, 15pic. Problem is when blowing them up much My D5000 blows up a lot better and the D7000 blows it away. But I am happy with it other than I'm not sure how people take a photo looking and the screen on the back. Oh and it doesn't do many frames in a row! But it didn't surprise me when I cropped out what I wanted then ran it into my printer to see what I'd get. Both printer's are Canon's; a Pro 9000 MKII and a iP100. With the review feature on them they tell me how god a photo might really be. Photo's cropped to where I would likely crop them from a DSRL come out with fairly low pixel count's. Not sure what I'd get if I didn't crop, I crop about 99% of my photo's. Easier for me to see what I have that way.

Well now I got the there are pixels and there are pixles point. But I guess it's a trade off getting a camera I can afford and be able to carry vers one that just won't carry well for what I want. Wonder if a more expensive camera would do better? Then if I take a fall and ruin the inexpensive camera, I'm not out as much. Been there, done that!

Hope this edits. This is from my S6900. In Photobucket I changed the contrast a bit and it looks a bit better. I don't post prep so well!

Attachments

• DSCN0208.JPG
    DSCN0208.JPG
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 174
There is image resolution (pixel dimensions) and there is print resolution (pixels per inch, or ppi).
Image resolution & print resolution determine print size.
For electronic display, there is no print resolution and the image resolution is what matters.

The more image resolution you have the larger a print can be, or put another way, the more detail a smaller print can have if you have a goodly amount of image resolution.

The photo you posted is under exposed, a full stop or so.
Use the histogram on the camea or post process to evaluate exposure. The camera rear LCD brightness cannot be calibrated per how much ambient light is falling on it when you look at a photo on it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back