Things that make you go, "Duh!"

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I figured this was the best place to put this thread, seeing as how it seems so obvious that it should be something a beginner learns.

It's regarding how to hold the camera.

I felt so stupid after I watched this short video by photographer Joe McNally, but it makes so much sense.

I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to how I hold the camera but I will now...in the hopes it will give me sharper photos or a stop or two extra of handholding.

The video was made for left-eyed shooters, but definitely has some beneficial advice and good technique for righties too.

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/

The video was made for left-eyed shooters...

Well, that's about time! I'm left-eyed and it's always been a problem with SLRs, fortunately not as bad as in the past. Years ago with film and no motor drive, I'd stick my thumb in my eye trying to advance the film rapidly (without moving the camera from my face). It's still a problem in that some controls assume that the user is right-eyed and they're difficult for me to use.

By the way, I'm right-handed.

Hmm, having the left hand under the lens pointing inward instead of out is a great idea...in theory. For a scrawny guy like me, having my arm tucked into my chest so closely allows my stupidly prominent heartbeat to shake my camera very noticeably. This technique might be useful for people who have at least a little bit of flesh on their bones, but not me :(

Thanks a lot, that was very interesting, i enjoyed it. I`d like to watch more videos like that on photography. but he forgot to show us the cat.

Thanks a lot, that was very interesting, i enjoyed it. I`d like to watch more videos like that on photography. but he forgot to show us the cat.

haha, actually that's what I thought at first. The cat is in the "outtakes" video directly below.

The out take from the cat was funny, but about 10 years ago, I was part owner to a 28 pound cat that made poor Nigel a lightweight in comparison... lol.

Hmm i've never really thought of it but i use my left eye also (Im also right handed) - Is it less common thing for people to use the left rather than the right or the other way round?

Hmm i've never really thought of it but i use my left eye also (Im also right handed) - Is it less common thing for people to use the left rather than the right or the other way round?

Look at the design of any dSLR camera on the market... they are all designed to favor the right hand and right eye holding position.

As far as I know, there has never been a camera that had a shutter button on the left side.

Look at the design of any dSLR camera on the market... they are all designed to favor the right hand and right eye holding position.

As far as I know, there has never been a camera that had a shutter button on the left side.

ok - and actually i just got the camera out to double check which eye i do use (I was sure it was the left....) and I was using my right so I was wrong on my previous reply...

Most reactions

Back