Think I did alright on a used Sigma 17-50 2.8

SashaT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A while back, I dunked my kit 18-55 VR in the river while fishing and destroyed it. I have been missing that focal length quite a bit on my fishing trips so I started looking used. I found a Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC OS in like new condition on CL with the box, receipt, warranty paperwork, case, caps and hood . I was able to get it for $300; not knowing a lot about the used Sigma market, did I do alight? Searching the web it seems to get pretty good reviews, do any of you have anything to say about this lens? I will be using it on a D7100, actually I am going to take it for a spin tomorrow at my secret cutthroat spot.

I have always believed in doing my homework prior to a purchase, this avoids heartburn later, having said that, forget the price of the glass and go out and create some magic. :1219:

Cheers!

The Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS is supposed to be an excellent DX lens. It's actually a very sharp lens, sharper than the now-overpriced Nikkor 17-55 f2.8. As far as feedback goes about the lens, it's generally quite good. As far as technical reviews go, DXO scores it fairly highly.

As far as the test shots on thedigitalpicture goes, it looks good as well (in comparison with the Nikkor 17-55 f2.8, it's basically really similar): Sigma 17-50mm f 2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens Image Quality

User reviews online (like bhphoto) are generally 4.5 and higher. Distortion is very low and simple. Flare isn't really bad at all. Not much vignetting at all. Bokeh is considered a little busy, due to some chromatic aberrations, but not really a big deal (the bokeh from the lens looks good to me). The worst part about the lens is chromatic aberrations, that's the weak point, but again... don't worry about it... the lens is really well-rounded.

So there's some research for you. As long as it focuses correctly and does everything it's supposed to do (the copy is good / no damage), then I say it's a fair price and a good score :)

Thank you all for the feedback, I was able to test the lens out a bit today on the river. The biggest downside to it being a bit larger than my last one is fitting it in my waders when not in use. Anyway, I will post a couple of the test shots in the nature gallery.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back