think i may be having a issue here.

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
my camera D7200 with my sigma 150-600mm sport lens is set up with AF-C so it does not need to be focused to snap a photo..

the last 2 days i have noticed sometimes when i am holding the back focus button down and i hit the shutter to snap the shot nothing happens or it may take a second for it to start shooting. when i let go of the back focus button it snaps away. most of the time when i am holding the focus button down it snaps away. so it did this 3 or 4 times today and i remember it doing this yesterday a time or two..

cant ever remember this happening before, i always remember hitting the shutter button and it starts taking photos right than and there.. not sure what is up.. anyone have any ideas?

AF-C will need focus confirmation before firing. This is the factory default. So if you haven't changed it, you will still need focus confirmation to fire.

i dont know. its never been a thing before. i do notice once i mount my lens and snap it on there is still a very small amount of play. i gave it a little twist all the way to the one side and the problem seemed to go away.. maybe that was the issue. not sure..

The default for AF-C is that the camera will shoot after a best-effort at focus, but doesn't have to have focus confirmed. AF-S defaults to focus must be confirmed before the shutter will release. You can change each mode to the other release priority in the menus, and I generally use focus priority for both. That's with the default shutter-button-half-press focus.

Back-button doesn't really change any of that, but the release mode stays with the AF-C setting, which is default release without focus confirm. The camera won't shoot even in release priority until it has made an effort to focus, in my experience. It may be that the lens is not the fastest to report a good effort at focusing.

AF-C Priority In custom menu A the default is release priority on the D7200.The camera doesn't need any confirmation and can careless if its in focus or not.It should keep shooting along.I have not had this problem.After Assign the AEL-AFL to BBF you need to go in custom menu a Autofocus menu to a4 AF-Activation and change that to AF-ON only otherwise you will still have AF at the shutter button and BBF and will probably interfere with each other.After you Select AF-On Only is should read off.Now you decoupled the AF on the shutter button.

Play in the lens mount is potentially bad and should be checked by a professional.

My Pentax K-3 did this in release priority and drove me crazy when it would stumble or not fire at all.Not good with BIF.

its only with this lens as far as the slight play goes. other lenses do not have any play... so its something with the mount on the lens its self.. maybe i should contact sigma about that.

i have gone into all the custom menus and changed all of that stuff. never had it hesitate to shoot while holding the focus button before, after wiggling the lens a little since its got some play when mounted it seemed to stop..

i just double checked. did not notice it with the other lenses but they all have a little bit of play after mounted.. so i guess its the mount on the camera, not the actual lens..

I don't have any play on my D7200 with sigma 0r Nikon lens.It locks on snug.Get to love Quality Control if there is one but that with almost everything today.I do have a little play with the D3300 but very little and it don't seem to affect anything.

i just talked to Nikon live chat and they said to send it in. but i need a receipt, unfortunately i am not sure what i did with it. hopefully i can find it.

the guy said he hooked a few lenses to a d7200 when we were taking and said there was no play..

Well the question is, is it worth sending to get fixed and being without my camera for a couple weeks, maybe longer. Should be under warranty and I found the receipt so I can send it in if I want

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Well the question is, is it worth sending to get fixed and being without my camera for a couple weeks, maybe longer. Should be under warranty and I found the receipt so I can send it in if I want

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My thought is if Nikon is telling you to send it in, send it in while it's still under warranty. Better safe than sorry. Might not be a big issue now but it has the potential of becoming one, so better to get it fixed now while it's still under warranty.

My 2 cents worth, naturally :)

Always send in things for repair when they are under warranty.
Always.
6 months later and that becomes a $300 bill (or more!)

yes, i guess it could be a big issue down the road, you are right, ill send it in. it looks like i have a year warranty.. i bough it in October. the guy said just fill out the form and ship it to them so i may hold off a bit. its just getting nice out again and i plan to go out shooting and i want to see if that is infact the reason its been having the issue. i can twist the lens slightly and see if it starts giving me trouble again and twist it all the way over and see if it stops again....

i want to be sure the lens mount is the the only issue before i send it in. if it starts doing that may matter where the lens is positioned in the small amout of play than i want to be able to tell them that it seems like a separate issue or i can tell them that is what i think is causing the issue.. after i figure it out ill send it in.. i still got some time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back