Thinkin about a D200

newb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, Ive had a D5000 for about 6 months now and Ive got tons of use out of it. But, Im wanting somethin with a setup more like the bigger Nikons. I mean, I wanna get away from using all the different on screen menus to make adjustments. I can find deals on lightly used D200's, no problem and thats why Im considering them.

Will the D200 be a step forward, or backward? Should I just wait until I can afford a higher level CMOS sensor equipped camera?

I'm thinking the D5000 will produce better quality images than the D200

What is limiting your photography at the moment? The D5000 is a fantastic camera, it really is. I'm going from a D5000 to a D700 sometime this year and thats only because I want a FX viewfinder!

For its price, weight and image capability the D5000 is better than the D200.

I agree. On just an image quality basis the D5000 wins hands down. Add the better ISO performance the D5000 has and it's hard to justify going to a D200.

If image quality and ISO performance aren't an issue for you you will gain a stop of shutter speed, need to buy CF memory cards, will be able to auto bracket up to 9 exposures, will lose the ability to zoom in into images on the LCD more than 1 step, will lose video and live view, and will have the same AF module the D5000 has.

However, if you were to consider getting a D300...........

http://dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/295%7C0/(appareil2)/320%7C0/(appareil3)/203%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Nikon

Well, I think Ill keep the D5000 then lol. Thanks guys.

The only thing the D200 will be lesser in is IQ, video, and the screen on the back.

Otherwise, it's an amazing camera. I'd get the D200 over the D5000 and bite the bullet at anything over ISO400.

The only thing the D200 will be lesser in is IQ, video, and the screen on the back.

Otherwise, it's an amazing camera. I'd get the D200 over the D5000 and bite the bullet at anything over ISO400.

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

Well, now Im not so sure about keepin the D5000.

Anyone else care to give some input?

I go back to my original question and ask

What is limiting your photography at the moment?

In order to give you more feedback. If you shoot out door sports, then I can imagine you would want a faster shuuter. Or if you use older Nikon Lens and you want a auto focus motor.

I go back to my original question and ask

What is limiting your photography at the moment?

In order to give you more feedback. If you shoot out door sports, then I can imagine you would want a faster shuuter. Or if you use older Nikon Lens and you want a auto focus motor.

Oops, I thought I answered that question. Right now, nothing is holding me back. I will be shooting a lot of car events though. Races, shows, small meets, ect. However, Ive only the D5000 for the off season so I dont know how well it actually does.

Lenses are another thing Im thinkin of too. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on AF-S lenses, just to hafta turn around and sell em when I upgrade the body. Right now all I have are kit lenses for the D5000, so its not a big deal to get rid of that setup.

If you don't want to get AF-S lens get the D90 it is better than the D200.

i would keep the d5000 over the d200,
if you really need something with more features, commander mode, focus motos and so on, i would save for a d90/d300.

Lenses are another thing Im thinkin of too. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on AF-S lenses, just to hafta turn around and sell em when I upgrade the body. Right now all I have are kit lenses for the D5000, so its not a big deal to get rid of that setup.
Nikon is working towards all AF-S lenses. At that point they will stop putting focus motors in any of their camera bodies, which is what Canon did back in 1987.

AF-S lenses work just fine on all Nikon bodies so you will only need to upgrade any DX only lenses you have to FX if you opt to go full frame. Most AF-S lenses focus faster than AF lenses driven by the screw motor in the camera bodies that have one.

Nikon is working towards all AF-S lenses.

I was going to say this to! KMH is right. But I still don't think this is a reason not to get a Nikon Body that has a focus motor but then just buy AF-S lens.

Well I could sell my D5000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm and pick up a D90 with a 50mm prime and come across even for money.

The commander mode is very appealing to me.

How does the high ISO performance of the D90 compare to the D5000?

Most reactions

Back