thinking about getting rid of speedlites

notelliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So title pretty much says it.

I love how easy it is to pack up two or three Sb-800s and go anyway with a few lithium AAs. But I don't really like the light or the shadows. Sometimes it's nice to have one for events, but I find that I just don't like to use them anymore.

What I was thinking about doing was selling one or two Sb-800s and buying a battery back for my alien bees. They will be useless at most events, but I find that I get better results indoors and out, night or day and much more quickly that fumbling around with speedlites. It's not too bad to carry around, i can get up to 4 heads and stands with two foldable softboxes into a large suitcase, with two more softboxes in a carrying case. weighs about 50 or 60 pounds, but on wheels.. ehh not that bad.
If I had a battery, I could go anywhere I need to. I would just need to think more about space and such. Without softboxes, used to bounce they take up very little space.

What do you guys think?

Have you checked out the Strobist Blog? There's some great stuff on there, all using off-camera flash.

A quick overview: Lighting 101

Also, the On Assignment section is good.

Meh, I'm not sure lugging around 50-60lbs of gear is even on the same page as a few strobes. If your using bare strobes and not liking the light, I'd recommend some umbrellas or a couple big soft boxes. If you already have the soft boxes, just rig them up to your speedlights, you'll probably like them a lot more.

I assume if you have three strobes, you've probably seen strobist. If not, you should get on that before you even consider lugging around a bunch of alien bees. If the gear is too heavy, you'll be far less inclined to use it IMO.

Do what you like
If your looking for someone to take them off your hands PM me, haha.

Every carried alienbees and a battery pack up a mountain? Yep they will give you better results. But they exist for the same reason you wouldn't take a medium format view camera into a nightclub for party shots. If you've given up on taking the photos that they allow you to take, by all means get rid of them. Just don't think a battery and full sized strobe will give you anywhere near as much versatility as a few hotshoe strobes.

Most reactions

Back