Thinking About Joining the Navy

FDSA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm 17 and a senior in high school, I have no clue what I want to be, I always thought I would end up being some sort of engineer but most engineering jobs seem boring. The armed forces age always interested me, and college doesn't really appeal to me. Who here was in the military? I know the navy offers some sort of photography training, did anyone do this?

I was in the Army for 8 years, and it was awesome! I loved the disciplined lifestyle, the way it kept me healthy and fit, and you have endless opportunities to go to college while you're in and after you're out.

I'd recommend the military to anyone, as it teaches you discipline, self-respect, respect in general, and it takes you places you would likely not be able to go on your own.. You'll handle some of the most expensive and awesome equipment you'll ever see, and you'll gain confidence that will stay with you a lifetime.

In addition to all that, you'll make some of the best friends in the world, and you'll keep in touch with them even after you get out, have meet-ups, etc..

The only down side to the military that you have to consider is the dyinig for your country part, but that's not usually the Navy, unless a ship gets attacked or you become a Seal, in which case you stare death in the face on a daily basis.

My husband is in the Navy, I've been with him every step of the way. He joined straight out of high school as well. He actually joined summer after his Junior year, he was a DEPer. It's not for everyone, that's for sure. But I hope if you go down that path, you enjoy it.

I'm not going to knock military service, but engineer = money and a good life, military = putting your life in other peoples hands - you may have a nice career as a potato peeler if they decide.

Recruiter: "Absolutely son, we will 100% guar-dam-teed get you in as an engineer."
Later: "You've been assigned to be So-and-so's personal secretary. Start learning to type, maggot!"

Some people like having life's decisions taken from them, some don't. Your call.

Thanks for the replies. It seems like everyone I know in the military says it's the best thing they ever did, but there are risks. I guess in making this thread I wasn't asking for help with my life I was hoping for some input from photographers (or anyone) who went through the navy, or any other branch of the military I guess.

Last edited:
Be a photo journalist.. I know they exist, and I've never known any.. All the photographers and journalists I met during Desert Storm were from commercial, civilian stations..

I'm not going to knock military service, but engineer = money and a good life, military = putting your life in other peoples hands - you may have a nice career as a potato peeler if they decide.

Bull.. I was an electronics engineer in the Army, and I've been hired several times simply based on this. . Employers know that you don't sail through military courses just because you're paying for them.. You're not paying-they're giving it to you, and if you don't cut it you become a cook or a bullet sponge.. Military engineering schools are some of the best int he world..

Bull.. I was an electronics engineer in the Army, and I've been hired several times simply based on this. . Employers know that you don't sail through military courses just because you're paying for them.. You're not paying-they're giving it to you, and if you don't cut it you become a cook or a bullet sponge.. Military engineering schools are some of the best int he world..

You misunderstood what I wrote.

thats the myth about the military...they arent gonna just dump u in any job...if u want to be an engineer and u qualify for it why would they put u as a "potato peeler"? thats what idiots are for....

i have almost 7 years in the navy and loved all of it..seen the world over and experienced stuff my friends from high school read about..but it does take a toll..work is hard and u cant just quit like a normal job. and having ur job in ur contract doesnt allow u to be just dumped into any job like someones secretary.

its fun, high speed...and u know u got a job for however many years (unless u **** up) the military doesnt lay people off or fire them to downsize....

thats the myth about the military...they arent gonna just dump u in any job...if u want to be an engineer and u qualify for it why would they put u as a "potato peeler"? thats what idiots are for....

i have almost 7 years in the navy and loved all of it..seen the world over and experienced stuff my friends from high school read about..but it does take a toll..work is hard and u cant just quit like a normal job. and having ur job in ur contract doesnt allow u to be just dumped into any job like someones secretary.

Don't lie to the boy... You get the job your assigned, not the job your promised. They may try, but there's no guarantee. Someone has to be the "potato peeler", the recruiter isn't going to tell the applicant beforehand.

Top 10 Lies (Some) Recruiters Tell

Don't lie to the boy... You get the job your assigned, not the job your promised. They may try, but there's no guarantee. Someone has to be the "potato peeler", the recruiter isn't going to tell the applicant beforehand.

Top 10 Lies (Some) Recruiters Tell

no ones lieing..he said he's thinking about joining the navy...not the army or marine corps...u get what u choose in the navy...if they dont need any of ur specific rating(job) that u want they wont offer it to u...

When I joined, I signed a contract to be an electronics engineer, and as a result had to enlist for 6 years on my first hitch! That's because my school was 52 weeks long. They wanted to get their money out of me..

The way you become a potato peeler is if you fail out of the school they put you in. We lost several people for that reason. And also if you're a discipline case or can't show up to formations in the proper uniform, etc..

That's the Army, though, not the Navy.. I have no idea how the seamen do it.

its fun, high speed...and u know u got a job for however many years (unless u **** up) the military doesnt lay people off or fire them to downsize....

no ones lieing..he said he's thinking about joining the navy...not the army or marine corps...u get what u choose in the navy...if they dont need any of ur specific rating(job) that u want they wont offer it to u...

YOU
....not "U"

I spent some time in the Navy. My advice is "don't" but if you insist, go Air Force. Had I gone Air Force there is a good chance I would have done 20. I was 1 day away from signing up for the Air Force when I made the mistake of talking to a Navy recruiter.

Which birngs me to my second piece of advice. Recruiters will LIE to you. To your face. About anything and everything in order to get you to sign. Treat them like the worst used car salesman you have ever met, and then assume they are even worse than that.

They will pressure you, hound you, annoy you, call you incessantly. They are like a bad rash. Learn to say No early and often or expect to talk to these guys at least once a day for the next year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back