Thinking of 2 lenses, but local camera store does not have them, nor will.

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I stopped by the only decent camera store in town wanting to look at a Tamron 18-270 and 10-24. Both are new. I have never had a Tamron. I have had 2 Sigmas (kept 1, sold 1), and 1 Tokina that I still have.

I am looking at the 18-270 for a lens for my soon to be here D40x. I just want an all around wide range lens so I don't have to carry any more (for lite traveling, whole reason I bought the D40x).

I am looking at the 10-24 becasue I want a wide lens. Widest I have now is a Nikon 17-35 f2.8d. So 25.5mm on the digitals.

My local store who stocks Tamron doesn't have either and said they will not carry them. Special order only.

Has anyone actually handled one? I have read Tamrons feel on the cheepish side. I sold my Sigma 170-500 about 5 months after buying it, due to the cheapish feeling and lens creep. Want to order the lenses in a couple days so they will be here before I leave for work again.

Sorry, I buy only organic. :biggrin:

The Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 is sweet, but the Sigma 10-20 gets some great shots as well at ~half the price. If you go ultra wide, keep in mind that a slim filter is probably in order.

I stopped by the only decent camera store in town wanting to look at a Tamron 18-270 and 10-24. Both are new. I have never had a Tamron. I have had 2 Sigmas (kept 1, sold 1), and 1 Tokina that I still have.

I am looking at the 18-270 for a lens for my soon to be here D40x. I just want an all around wide range lens so I don't have to carry any more (for lite traveling, whole reason I bought the D40x).

I am looking at the 10-24 becasue I want a wide lens. Widest I have now is a Nikon 17-35 f2.8d. So 25.5mm on the digitals.

My local store who stocks Tamron doesn't have either and said they will not carry them. Special order only.

Has anyone actually handled one? I have read Tamrons feel on the cheepish side. I sold my Sigma 170-500 about 5 months after buying it, due to the cheapish feeling and lens creep. Want to order the lenses in a couple days so they will be here before I leave for work again.

I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for my 400D ... fantastic lens ..

the AF is a little noisy but the iamges are crystal ... love it!!

some say it approaches L class ...

So, special order them and make sure the store has a good return policy.

No, basically their attitude was this is what we have in stock. They will special order, but didnt even to offer to look up availability, price, nothing. Basically they way they were talking they were not going to stock Tamron anymore. They had a 18-250 in stock and didn't even mention it. I saw the box on the shelf. Not like they were busy either. Not sure what the deal was. Maybe if I mentioned I wanted it for a D300 instead of D40 I might have gotten a little more service??

You can always order from the "internetz" from a reputable company that will ship to your home, and probably for less too! :)

Yea, but the problem is I wont have much time to try it out, to see if I really like them or not. I leave for Israel for 5 weeks just before Thankgiving for work.

I may wait till after I get back. As I have been there enough, I really don't need to take camera with me this trip. By then maybe a few have had their hands on the lenses. I am sure they are decent lenses. Just the one Sigma has me a little nervous about third party lenses.

You can always order from the "internetz" from a reputable company that will ship to your home, and probably for less too! :)
Id say less 99% of the time :p

If you don't have the time to do it right, I'd say wait. Do it once, do it right or just don't do it only to find out it was all one big mistake.

Not trying to sound snarky, but if you cannot find a place locally or within a reasonable drive, and do not want to take that chance, best not to take the chance and make a potential mistake.

I know it doesn't put the smile on you... but within the limitations you propose, your opinons are very limited. I prefer to play safe rather than sorry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back