Camera That Could Change It All

droyz2000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Check out this link. http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/ What kind of impact is this camera going to have on the industry? They are expensive but they are in the range of medium format as we know it today. The FPS are amazing, up to 120. The cameras definitely seems like a game changer, way more so than the D90 or the 5DM2.

I've already worked with some down rezzed RED One footage and it was very nice indeed, especially for compositing and VFX.

But the game this will change is not very near the experiment that is happening with canon & nikon, or within most people's reach.
Trust me, 16bit 6K footage @ 100 fps give me a major woodrow, but that's a check my arse can't clear... not to mention the infrastructure required to store and edit that footage.

Lens mounts compatible with those manufactures start with the $7K brains only, and well I'm imagine a nicely equipped RED rig will run 40 - 180K. It will be interesting to see what the wide format people think of the 617 platform.

-Shea

Last edited:
That 617 sensor is a pretty cool tool, but without sample pictures I found that whole website to be a tease. Show me one full resolution still with any of the larger sensor cameras and I'll most likely change my tune. Until then I am going to lump this into the same category as the Leica S1.

it looks really cumbersome and complicated as a camera.

At last something truly new on the dSLR market. Those cameras are not designed around an old 35mm SLR platform. I like the idea that you put together different modules to build up your camera. When comes the time to upgrade I guess you could just change the sensor for example. Interesting even if it is too expensive for most of us.

oh boy.... i mean it's cool but.... could you image the time, space, and processing power to deal with 120fps @ 16 bit??

simply load your 1000gig memory card into your computer.... click the import button in LightRoom... then.... go away for the weekend while your computer runs at 140 degrees chewing through the files assigning profiles....

I could fill up my a 8 gig card in about 8 seconds...

keep in mind Red has already made an established presence in the professional video market. You'll see that much of their design in this new SLR comes directly from that arena.

keep in mind Red has already made an established presence in the professional video market. You'll see that much of their design in this new SLR comes directly from that arena.

yeah.... i know....

if Bifurcator were still here he'd most likely be wetting his pants.....

they screwed themselves competitively with pricing. I really do not understand how the expect to sell anything.

in looking at MF systems..
mamiya 645 ZD kit is less than 10 grand,
Leaf Afi kits less than 40 grand,
Red 9k is 45 grand for the back, plus another 5 or 10 for the rest of the camera.

if you want to argue about video..
phantom HD cam @ 1000FPS is something like 90 grand. after the Red back, camera components, and lenses you'd be into the same price range..

what gives? seriously..?

The new RED cameras do look very interesting. It will take a while, but things like this will hopefully force Canon & Nikon to 'step their game up'. The more competition, the better it is for us.

I bring this topic up not because I thought that any of us on the forum would be purchasing this camera. It is more about how far we have come in such a short period of time. I think that it would be safe to say that probably both Nikon and Canon, and probably Sony for that matter, have the technology to produce a product similar to that of the Red system. However, for those three companies, a product such as this would not fall into their current product lines and does not have a large market. Both Nikon and Canon chose to put video into reasonably inexpensive cameras because that is where the market is right now. In 5 years, every camera manufacture may have cameras similar to this at a price point that might make it more tempting to the masses.

I also think it is important to point out that Red's ad says 1-100 fps. Not every shoot is going to require 5 seconds at 100 fps. In fact most will not require half of that. However, when people need that option it is there to use. Just as not everyone needs 9fps of the Nikon D3 but it is there to use if you do need it. I could be wrong, but I do not feel as if it is Red's intent to put cameras that you just machine gun at everything you see.

Red cameras pwn every other kind of camera out there.

you guys would be surprised, alot of people do actually buy and use these cameras. They are like indestructable too. The cinema cameras are just too much to comprehend. RED is on their own level for sure.

dearleader, there are plenty of computers around that can handle all that processing.
I think red has already built some crazy harddrives and solid state drives that are super fast. The only thing is all of their stuff costs and arm and a leg, maybe even all of your limbs.

BTW, people that use these cameras, the price is usually pocket change to them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back