This for all the Mac users thinking off upgrading to Yosemite.

FYI this was a known issue clear back in July of 2014. Aperture and iPhoto were both discontinued for Photo.
Apple won't admit it openly, but aperture was discontinued because apple felt that competing with Lightroom was a waste of their creative energy. It really didn't have much to do with the photos app. Apple doesn't try to market photos as a professional app.

I have downloaded 2,000 images into Photos, then downloaded the trial version of Lightroom 6, and LR 6 could not see these photos, could not import it, not a single file.
What is also frustrating - if you open Finder, then Pictures, then Photos and expect to see files, it will jump straight into the app. But that's Mac, I guess.
So I relocated all my images and just removed Photos from my desk, it was useless. Or probably I was useless :)
Yeah, I'm heavily contemplating finally switching from aperture, which I like a lot, to LRCC. Biggest annoyance is that I don't think LR will read my edits of raw files made in aperture, so I think I have to convert *everything* I've edited to TIFF to bring my edits over.

Last edited:
FYI this was a known issue clear back in July of 2014. Aperture and iPhoto were both discontinued for Photo.
Apple won't admit it openly, but aperture was discontinued because apple felt that competing with Lightroom was a waste of their creative energy. It really didn't have much to do with the photos app. Apple doesn't try to market photos as a professional app.

I have downloaded 2,000 images into Photos, then downloaded the trial version of Lightroom 6, and LR 6 could not see these photos, could not import it, not a single file.
What is also frustrating - if you open Finder, then Pictures, then Photos and expect to see files, it will jump straight into the app. But that's Mac, I guess.
So I relocated all my images and just removed Photos from my desk, it was useless. Or probably I was useless :)
Yeah, I'm heavily contemplating finally switching from aperture, which I like a lot, to LRCC. Biggest annoy nab is that I don't think LR will read my edits of raw files made in aperture, so I think I have to convert *everything* I've edited to TIFF to bring my edits over.

Have you ever thought about switching to Iridient Developer?

Yeah, I'm heavily contemplating finally switching from aperture, which I like a lot, to LRCC. Biggest annoy nab is that I don't think LR will read my edits of raw files made in aperture, so I think I have to convert *everything* I've edited to TIFF to bring my edits over.

Have you ever thought about switching to Iridient Developer?
Yeah, but a large part of my switch to LRCC would be because it's the standard. So there's more support, more developers work with it, less chance of its discontinuation in the near future, etc.

I thought the slow/ crashing browser was just a problem with my yoke but maybe not.

When I upgraded I lost iPhoto and some other thing and cause I have a reconditioned unit iPhoto was not downloaded with my ID therefore I can't get the upgrade for it to work on Yosemite.

They pretty much admitted it when they introduced Photo, as it has more abilities than iPhoto but less than Aperture. They also assured professional users that thew would continue to support and develop Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro. I think that apple recognized that Aperture was not as good as either Lightroom or Capture One Pro.

They pretty much admitted it when they introduced Photo, as it has more abilities than iPhoto but less than Aperture. They also assured professional users that thew would continue to support and develop Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro. I think that apple recognized that Aperture was not as good as either Lightroom or Capture One Pro.
I think aperture is a great program, for many things I prefer it to Lightroom (at least when they were consistently developing it 3+ years ago). But since it won't work on a PC, Lightroom just caught on more. Because photo editing depends so much on classes teaching a standard, aperture was never going to keep up no matter what. Every professional studio you go to uses Lightroom and Photoshop and that's that. It doesn't matter how good aperture became, it wasn't going to compete.

Some Day I will have to learn PS or light room but I find it so clunky complicated to use.Learning how to edit is the same as learning photography but when you can't even find something is what kills me.I know there is tutorials for this but it is not something I ever needed with aperture an it does the basic things I need.Like selective sharpening,burn and dodge,highlights and recovery etc etc.

Regardless its not supported no longer,it will still function minus the updates.

Last edited:
Some Day I will have to learn PS or light room but I find it so clunky complicated to use.Learning how to edit is the same as learning photography but when you can't even find something is what kills me.I know there is tutorials for this but it is not something I ever needed with aperture an it does the basic things I need.Like selective sharpening,burn and dodge,highlights and recovery etc etc.

Regardless its not supported no longer,it will still function minus the updates.
Not necessarily. Capture One Pro 8

I will look that over, Thanks.

I use it and find it very good for most things. It is definitely a top end piece of software. In most of the reviews I have seen over the last few years Capture One usually ranked first, Lightroom ranked second and Aperture ranked third. It is not cheap however. $100.00 more than Lightroom.

Not necessarily. Capture One Pro 8
All the digital medium format people rave about it.

recently replaced my Mac mini outright - I have been running a 10-year old mini and finally had to replace it.... I was not using Aperture or iPhoto before, so I'm not missing them now...
however - the overall improvement from Snow Leopard (yeah, that old) to Yosemite is enough that I didn't mind upgrading several apps so they'll run properly...

Apple occasionally squeezes out one of those three-days-constipated turds that float...

OS 9!

(however, don't remember exactly why)
Generally they mark it "Top Secret" send it to Microsoft annomously and Microsoft turns it into their next bowl clogger they call Windows. Now where did i put that plunger. I have another Windows 8 machine to fix .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back