This is what 0° looks like. (How can I do it justice?)

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Woke up this morning to 0° weather and beautiful fresh snow. Tried to do the morning justice, but I feel like these fall short. It was VERY sparkly, and I tried to capture it by changing angles but still didn't get enough.

I also tried to do an abstract PixelRabitt inspired intentionally blurred shot which failed miserably.

C&c is appreciated on all, but perhaps we can focus on number one?

I wanted the bush to stand out, but I really feel like it gets lost. How could I have changed that? Lower perspective perhaps? Shot 10 minuets earlier when the sun was still behind the peak?

1)
15935660749_76638a4531_c_d.jpg

2)
15934310608_2af6613356_c_d.jpg

3)
15935985397_1d6479732d_c_d.jpg

4)
16119801121_92ea9f24c4_c_d.jpg

Move!

As far as making the bush in #1 stand more, I think it would have to be an angle change, or perhaps shooting at a different time of day and adding some fill light? It's really hard to say without having been there, but I understand what you're asking, just not sure I can really answer.

Next try a very small aperture. This will bring out the twinkle.

Also increase your exposure a 1/2 to 1

Move!

As far as making the bush in #1 stand more, I think it would have to be an angle change, or perhaps shooting at a different time of day and adding some fill light? It's really hard to say without having been there, but I understand what you're asking, just not sure I can really answer.
Thanks! Maybe I'll try to find a different Bush next time that's naturally more isolated.

Thanks! I wasn't looking for a starburst (thought about it, but didn't feel like using tripod this morning.) Just more of the colors from the reflections I guess. Not sure if I am making sense.

Yes, a lower angle so the darker trees are more prominent in the background. I really like #3 - nice and seasona. It almost makes me envious as we're stuck with 57* F.

Yes, a lower angle so the darker trees are more prominent in the background. I really like #3 - nice and seasona. It almost makes me envious as we're stuck with 57* F.
That's sort of what I thought! My fingers were starting to go numb, and it was the last in the set so I suppose I stopped thinking too hard about. Luckily, tomorrow is supposed to be freezing too, so maybe I'll wake up early and try again!

You're missing all sorts of sledding opportunities in that 57° sauna. ;-)

Try one around sunset - that should give you that "freezing my @$$ off" cold look.

Try one around sunset - that should give you that "freezing my @$$ off" cold look.
Well, the sun came out and the icicles are gone. :-( so I doubt it will be as I want it. No fresh snow tonight either, maybe another day I guess!

Move!

Thanks! Maybe I'll try to find a different Bush next time that's naturally more isolated.

Thanks! I wasn't looking for a starburst (thought about it, but didn't feel like using tripod this morning.) Just more of the colors from the reflections I guess. Not sure if I am making sense.

I think I know what you are saying. My experience/experiments with frost gave me tiny twinkles, not starburst. Because the reflecting water crystals are so tiny. Now if you have some bright larger highlights and such then the starbursts start popping up. A matter of angles really.

Move!

I think I know what you are saying. My experience/experiments with frost gave me tiny twinkles, not starburst. Because the reflecting water crystals are so tiny. Now if you have some bright larger highlights and such then the starbursts start popping up. A matter of angles really.
Thanks! I'll give it a go next time with a tripod then and see how it comes out!

I like the amount of twinkle and blur you have in the last one. The others have either too much in focus or not enough to convey the iciness of the scene.

Most reactions

Back