Thoughts on Processing here?

Yeah, I think it's the lines along her foreleg and belly that make her look plopped into the image - they're more noticeable on the enlarged image on Flickr.
Yeah, it's really weird looking zoomed in. Thinking about it, I think it may also be because of the large granite outcropping behind the image, that reflected light back on to the scene. Kind of gave her a sort of glow I think. Kind of makes it like very diffused light is coming from two different directions.

That looks better.

I think different sections of this picture need different treatments - maybe that's why the version in the OP looked overdone. The recovered shadows looked better on the landscape but the sky looked overdone and the dog was way too shiny.

I don't know how to do that kind of separate processing, but this is the kind of picture that seems to ask for it.

Here's what I ultimately ended up going with. I figured out there was a color contrast adjustment built in to one of the adjustments I had used (that wasn't at all obvious that it was part of the adjustment), so when I calmed that down, it fixed a lot. Plus I toned down the grad ND, which I think was a large portion of the "HDR look".

DSC_0207 (4) by Franklin Rabon, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back