Time for a change to posting

I say, Art should speak for it’s self.

I agree with this, and I think it's something I've learned my formal training in poetry.

I've been taught never to question the writer -- only the work. You don't ask "what was the writer trying to accomplish", you only ask "what did the work accomplish?"

In photography terms, you wouldn't judge a work by anything but the finished product. If a photographer took a photo with his eyes closed and it turned out to be a masterpiece, then it is a masterpiece.

In writing workshops the writer is usually not allowed to speak for himself or his work -- he doesn't introduce and he doesn't make excuses. The work is what it is. Everybody chimes in on what's good, what works, and what's bad, what doesn't work.

I agree to some extent, but when we are learning it is helpful to provide information to others, so they can see what settings etc we used, so they can recommend improvements, I also like seeing how other people captured there pics, what equipment was used and settings etc, it helps me learn

But writing and art are very differnt things in this context - one cannot say how one got the idea for a story or for a painting, but they can say what paints they used and what techniques they used to get the end result - which then helps others who can try to emulate or to copy the equipment and techniques in another composition.

I agree to some extent, but when we are learning it is helpful to provide information to others, so they can see what settings etc we used, so they can recommend improvements, I also like seeing how other people captured there pics, what equipment was used and settings etc, it helps me learn

I dont mind sharing info, and I help a lot of members through pms. If they ask I will help. But we do have some members here that are geniuses....or they think they are, so I stopped posting my info, cause of them....gheesh...I stopped posting the ammount of images I used to cause of them. I will throw a few up in one thread and go away. Less stress.

Can you imaging if everyone on this thread added all their exif data...:lol::lol::lol:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124370

meh I would not worry about them - ni the end its only 2 lines of text
camera and lens
ISO, aperture and shutter speed

the third line could be for added stuff - like a tripod or that you used stacked shots or flash or that at the time of shooting you were being blown away by the wind

When there was a critique forum people were asked to post all data. The amount of people that did not do it was pretty alarming. I think you asking way too much.

Love & Bass

When there was a critique forum people were asked to post all data. The amount of people that did not do it was pretty alarming. I think you asking way too much.

Love & Bass

Its their loss. If they aren't willing to provide two lines worth of text to supplement their photos, then in reality the only critique they deserve is that based on composition.

I don't see this as a guidelines chance - what I see it as is a change in the trend - enough regulars read posts like this and if we all start posting the basic details then other will see that as the status quo.

ps - forums are both schools - hospitals, bars, fighting pits, areas, competitions etc....

unless a mod wands to enforce new rules that is

I think the idea is o.k, but people should not be forced to put his info out there. I for one, only do this as a hobby, and just show my images and wanderings. So would I not be allowed to post in the galleries?
I think if you want critique on your photos...ask for it and supply the info to go along with your photo. If that stuff is not displayed...then assume that person does not want crituque. :D:D

To me, this forum is first and foremost a forum on which I want to communicate. Meet people, get to know them, their preferences and likings and specialities through the wonderful medium of photography, and talk about their photos and beyond.

For that I need not necessarily and at all times know what camera, lens, and settings their photos were taken with. I personally would mostly just skip the info and go to the "composition alone", as you said many only COULD in your first post, Overread. But since I have not the slightest formal photography education whatsoever, going by THOSE parametres is about all I CAN do. The technical side of photography is pretty much beyond me.

So I feel that posting photos for simple comments is as legitimate as wanting critique. I myself rarely want any critique, I prefer the communication which can be brought about by illustrating things, which is why I would not put any further thoughts and commments on photos past me, either. And I like to read such comments to my photos, too.

If there is a photo for which I want a proper critique, then I go ask for it.

I have a question about all of this. Why should someone post this info? If these photos were being hung in a gallery for critics to look at, it would not say at the bottom of the photo, "taken with a 5D with an 85mm lens at f/4"

I'm not criticizing the desire some have to post this stuff, just trying to understand its reason moreso.

I have a question about all of this. Why should someone post this info? If these photos were being hung in a gallery for critics to look at, it would not say at the bottom of the photo, "taken with a 5D with an 85mm lens at f/4"

I'm not criticizing the desire some have to post this stuff, just trying to understand its reason moreso.

Educational value, It's an older practice than you may realize. After work today I'll scan some old photos that have just that.

Educational value, It's an older practice than you may realize. After work today I'll scan some old photos that have just that.

Both of these images where scanned from the manual to my camera, printed some time in the mid seventies. Granted yeah, it's not gallery display but...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/other stuffs/scan0002_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/other stuffs/scan0001_2.jpg

There are several photo posters here that simply post a photo. I take it as an invitation, as LaFoto said, to communicate my feelings towards the image I see. That's fine and dandy. I may have done it before myself. Sometimes I give the techi stuff out because I felt it important, sometimes I give a little back story (I like to run off at the mouth). I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other.

What I don't like is when I am told of the personal connection between photographer and model as in "My daughter or My nine year old niece or Portrait of my mother - what do you think." That kind of personalization kills any kind of unrepressed critique in my opinion. Tell me that you have a favorite spot to have a coffee and a smoke because the swans honk loudly in the early morning and that's fine. Tell me that it's your grandsons graduation from middle school and I will pass it by.

Just an opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back