Do you think displaying EXIF data would be handy on the forum?

ekool

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a modification that we can install that will display the EXIF information below attached images. I figured some users might find it handy. If we enable it, it will enable it for all users, so it would be a system wide thing. I'd like to get people's opinions on it so we can see if it is welcomed here.

Here is an example of some of the information it will show.

exif4.jpeg

exif1.jpeg

Please let me know what you think.

100%! I think it's a great idea! 👏

Camera. Lens. Aperture. FL. S/S. Iso.

I have no problem with it, but for me it would be redundant at best. I use Firefox, Chrome and Edge all of which have EXIF viewer extensions. The problem (which you'll likely encounter as well) is shots edited in PS and exported as a JPEG don't include the EXIF file, and many of the LR or other editors don't either unless the photographer specifically checks the box to include.

To me, this is unnecessary, but I know a lot of people seem to think it's helpful to have this info, so I would not be opposed. I haven't posted here much, but it's likely that anything I Idid post would have the EXIF stripped anyway.

Yes, this is a great idea. Often, I look at a shot and wonder what the settings for that shot were, because it helps me learn to produce better images without having to pester the image owner. I see nothing intrusive about that. Not all shots carry exif data, though. Images on Flickr that are presented with BBCode don't carry the info, you have to click on the photo and go to Flickr for that.

I like the idea. That is done on another photo forum I frequent.

Just seems meaningless(misleading?) given that what gets posted here is rarely--if ever--SOOC. Solution looking for problem?

Just seems meaningless(misleading?) given that what gets posted here is rarely--if ever--SOOC. Solution looking for problem?
Possibly, but there are valid reasons to give it a go. One in particular being that this info is what is specifically asked for in our C&C Forum (and seldom given).

As has been previously mentioned, no location is given, so it's pretty harmless. I wouldn't let this be the thing that drives you away from the forum. :)

Simple: just make full non-film EXIF disclosure the ticket for admission to CC. No EXIF, no posting.

Posting EXIF is already a requirement for posting in the C&C gallery for film or digital.

I don't understand your concern on the EXIF if you post an image anywhere with the EXIF sidecar included, there are numerous browser extensions that automatically display it when you hover over the image. So what's the difference between the forum displaying it or seeing it in a browser extension? If its that important, you could strip it from the image before posting.

Posting EXIF is already a requirement for posting in the C&C gallery for film or digital.

I don't understand your concern on the EXIF if you post an image anywhere with the EXIF sidecar included, there are numerous browser extensions that automatically display it when you hover over the image. So what's the difference between the forum displaying it or seeing it in a browser extension? If its that important, you could strip it from the image before posting.
I usually do EXIF-Lite on shots posted here anyway. Still, I think info re: f/stop and ISO are a bit irrelevant for reasons stated up-thread and elsewhere. YMMV, as always. With respect, none this will cost me any sleep whatever happens!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back