Time lapse anyone?

firemedic0135

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone know how to take a series of shots and make time lapse.Software?Technique?
Thanks

I'm sure when i bought my Canon Digital Rebel there was software included that allowed you to do time lapse - the downside was that the camera had to be connected to the PC since it was the pc that controlled everything.

I'd say you'll need a tripod, a remote shutter release and a stopwatch!!
seriously though i don't know of any particular programs or equipment you'll need other than what i've just mentioned.

my nikon coolpix s6 had a feature on it that did time lapse at different intervals and then it just put them all together

what do you want to do with a time lapse? just put the photos together to make a video?

Yeah, the Canon has software to do it, but I have no idea about Sony.

what do you want to do with a time lapse? just put the photos together to make a video?

Well I took a bunch of pics the other day of a storm cloud and then when I viewed them in my pic viewer you could see the cloud changing and it appeared to boil and fall to the ground and if I had some software I could play them without having to flip through them manualy.

You can take you shots and use windows movie maker on the PC or iMovie on the mac to create a time lapse movie.

I tried one a few days ago just as an experiement - it's "interesting" :lol:

From what I gather everything, most certainly WB, needs to be set to manual so you don't get a "flicker" in your frames. Both programs I mention are drag and drop and included with the OS.

Here is the trial I shot out my hotel window a few nights ago.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/dewey1181/?action=view&current=deweytimelapse.flv

Every Sony handycam I've ever owned has this feature. You can have the camera capture a frame of video at selected intervals that play back at an accelerated speed. It's rather neat, I've used it for various productions. For a theatrical production I covered I setup a time lapse camera and showed what was involved with striking the set after the last performance. It was quite eye-opening how much work went into the removal of all the props...

You can take you shots and use windows movie maker on the PC or iMovie on the mac to create a time lapse movie.

I tried one a few days ago just as an experiement - it's "interesting" :lol:

From what I gather everything, most certainly WB, needs to be set to manual so you don't get a "flicker" in your frames. Both programs I mention are drag and drop and included with the OS.

Here is the trial I shot out my hotel window a few nights ago.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/dewey1181/?action=view&current=deweytimelapse.flv

amazing, I was just saying to myself the other day, I really enjoy like on discovery channel when they have time lapses of clouds covering the land... too bad my camera cant do that. And look, it can!!! How did you set this up? and how much time between shots?

I set this up with an interval of one shot every 30 seconds. Each exposure was 30 seconds so it's kind of like 30 seconds on 30 seconds off. It was at ISO 100 and aperature 2.8.

I would like to try one from sundown into the night... I guess I would try aperature priority and pray. :lol:

I love the time lapse they do on shows like the deadliest catch... very cool!

Every Sony handycam I've ever owned has this feature. You can have the camera capture a frame of video at selected intervals that play back at an accelerated speed. It's rather neat, I've used it for various productions. For a theatrical production I covered I setup a time lapse camera and showed what was involved with striking the set after the last performance. It was quite eye-opening how much work went into the removal of all the props...

Yes that is excatly what I want to do.You did it just like I had it in my mind but I didnt know how to afix them all together so they would play in a sequence.

I set this up with an interval of one shot every 30 seconds. Each exposure was 30 seconds so it's kind of like 30 seconds on 30 seconds off. It was at ISO 100 and aperature 2.8.

I would like to try one from sundown into the night... I guess I would try aperature priority and pray. :lol:

I love the time lapse they do on shows like the deadliest catch... very cool!

so are you sitting in one place for hours on end or do you hook up and let a computer do the work? if so what program?

Oooh sorry... it made sense in my head ;)

I shot this with a D200, which has a built in intervalometer. I set it up on a tripod, set the number of shots in the camera and went to sleep. I didn't have it hooked up to a computer.

Oooh sorry... it made sense in my head ;)

I shot this with a D200, which has a built in intervalometer. I set it up on a tripod, set the number of shots in the camera and went to sleep. I didn't have it hooked up to a computer.

AHHH, now I am sad my camera doesnt have that :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back