Time To Upgrade?

ASA1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It's been five years since I bought my D7000 and it's served me well. I went from a D70 to the D7000 in search of better low light performance and faster focusing for when I'm shooting indoors at dog shows. At the same time I purchased a Nikkor 28 - 70 knowing that eventually I would be getting an FX body. The AKC has a rule of not using flash so I have to rely on the camera and post editing. It doesn't always workout and often there are good shots that are unusable. However I'm still happy with the outdoor photos I get with the D7000.

We breed and show the dogs we've produced and it would be great to be able to send photos to the other owners without having to wait until we get to a computer later that night. So I'm now looking at the D750 which has Wi-Fi but I'm wondering if the low light performance and faster focusing be a large improvement. It's hard to justify the cost for Wi-Fi alone.

It's been five years since I bought my D7000 and it's served me well. I went from a D70 to the D7000 in search of better low light performance and faster focusing for when I'm shooting indoors at dog shows. At the same time I purchased a Nikkor 28 - 70 knowing that eventually I would be getting an FX body. The AKC has a rule of not using flash so I have to rely on the camera and post editing. It doesn't always workout and often there are good shots that are unusable. However I'm still happy with the outdoor photos I get with the D7000.

We breed and show the dogs we've produced and it would be great to be able to send photos to the other owners without having to wait until we get to a computer later that night. So I'm now looking at the D750 which has Wi-Fi but I'm wondering if the low light performance and faster focusing be a large improvement. It's hard to justify the cost for Wi-Fi alone.

The D750 is a great camera, but my opinion on upgrading is if you can make enough money with your current camera to upgrade too it, and it will help you get more money or improve your style, go for it.

Shouldn't there be a new line up coming within the next quarter? Why not just save and wait to see. Most likely some prices will drop in the process.

The D7000 is a very solid workhorse from Nikon. Dont expect too much, you cant get hugely better with any other Nikon.

High-ISO performance will benefit from a full frame camera a lot, though, and some (like Ming Thein) claim that the D750 is the lowlight king from Nikon atm.

As a general camera, I can only highly recomment the D750, unless you have a focus into special fields. Specifically the D810 will offer more resolution and overall image quality, not as good high ISO though.

Also note that WiFi on the D750 isnt that well developed yet.

The Nikon D600 (D750 predecessor) was announced Sep 2012, the D750 was announced Sep 2014, so it would make sense the D750s or however it will be called will be announced Sep 2016.

The D750 is an excellent camera & there would be a noticeable jump in image quality, colour depth & dynamic range. Remember that with full frame, you will have a little less reach with your lenses. Worth considering, is the D610, still a step up from the D7000, but cheaper than the D750 & you can add the WU-1b adaptor for wireless connection with a tablet for instance. The D610 does have a lesser AF system than the D750 which makes it less good for action (moving) shots, but low light is almost on a par with the D750. If you'd like to retain your lens reach, consider the D500 which would be wonderful for action shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back