Tips for getting jobs - Targeted toward teens

bemmermazda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As a teenage photographer, i find in general people do not take me seriously. I am active within my school; i am a main photographer for the newspaper and yearbook. I would like to however do some jobs for some cash.

Is there any way of putting myself out there?

Being the main photographer for your newspaper and yearbook is a big step in the right direction. Good work! First, you should probably consider putting together a small portfolio of your current work. You'll need this to show off your growing skills.

What type of photography do you enjoy? How about studio? I've seen a couple photography technology students in college work part time in family portrait studios. Time is really flexible there and the experience working with customers is good. Most if not all offer training.

The next more demanding type job would be an assistant for a local wedding photographer. Landing one of these might be a bit difficult if there are local colleges with photography programs. Generally, they look for someone more mature (out of college) since they require people who are reliable. (not saying you specifically) As most of their work occurs on weekends, you will need to be prepared to give up some weekends to work.

Since you do photos for your school newspaper, why not try to get into doing photography for your local community newspaper?

skieur

You have an in on one of the most uncomfortable markets: Teenagers. They like photos, but in my opinion most teenagers lack the confidence to take really good pictures, but i have a feeling if they are more comfortable as one of their own, you might be able to get over that hump and really help some people.

Perhaps offer some Senior Pics and Prom Pics, for less than pros can. Just be sure to set your self up as being professional, dont be a kid taking pics of another kid. Take it seriously and don't do them for free.

Well it depends on what you like to do. If your like me and like to shoot sports like snowboarding/skateboarding/bmx, you might be able to go to events and get a press pass and take pictures, then bring a laptop with a dvd burner and sell the pics

When you're still in high school, even small local papers are hard to get into. Hustle hustle hustle, bug people until they give you a shot, be willing to intern/work for free or dirt to build your portfolio and your rep.

I disagree that you should be charging people. That can cause a big mess. Volunteer to take pics in addition to the pro studios, if you've got the talent and the equipment...people (and more importantly, their parents) will come knocking. Then you can start to charge.

I think you pretty much have it covered right now. What you are doing is a great start but I do agree with the others who say push push push. get a portfolio together, Call people, be the fly in the ointment, bug who is in charge. One suggestion might be if you are interested in shooting sports and you shoot some kind of sporting event for your school that might not have been covered by a local paper see if they want your images. But again you just need to keep trying and plugging away this is a developing time for you (no pun intended) try to take some classes learn more about photography you will not have a time like this again in your life where you have the opportunity to learn all you can and not have the obligation to work for someone.

All good advice... having that go gettim attitude works for job search in general. I've met many hiring managers with a stack of resumes on their desk that will have an admin sort through them for basic skills sets then sit back and wait for one of them to call. It shows them who is really serious about the job opportunity.

You have an in on one of the most uncomfortable markets: Teenagers. They like photos, but in my opinion most teenagers lack the confidence to take really good pictures, but i have a feeling if they are more comfortable as one of their own, you might be able to get over that hump and really help some people.

Perhaps offer some Senior Pics and Prom Pics, for less than pros can. Just be sure to set your self up as being professional, dont be a kid taking pics of another kid. Take it seriously and don't do them for free.

This is a good point. I am young as well, (20) and it definitly makes someone feel a little more comfortable, especially females, when the photographer is close to their age, as aposed to an older gentlemen. Talk to some people you go to school with and ask if they want to get together and do some fun shots downtown. Or like he said, get some before prom shots. This is a great way to get lots of stuff to fill your portfolio. The main problem with this is that it would be hard to find paying customers at that age.

JIP also made a good point. The first photos I ever sold were from a drag racing event. I showed up with a camera and just started taking photos. Before the end of the day I was writing my email on napkins because people wanted to see their car in action. I ended up selling quite a few in the weeks after that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back