Tips For Holding A Camera Steady

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a little situation, it started showing up a few years ago, and gets better/worse at unpredictable times. It's called Essential Tremor - a nervous system (neurological) disorder that causes involuntary and rhythmic shaking. It can affect almost any part of your body, but the trembling occurs most often in your hands. So far have managed it without drugs, and intend to keep it that way if at all possible. I'm told its not an uncommon problem, however, at times it's almost impossible for me to hand hold a camera and get a sharp shot. One of the issues is concentration can cause it to be worse!

If I'm using a tripod I can either use the remote to focus/shoot, or use manual focus on live view to bump it into focus, but I can't always carry a tripod. Used breathing control which helps sometimes. Thought of trying a monopod, but not sure if that would be the answer. Anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? Are there other types of supports that might work?

Well that sounds crappy! I would think a monopod would work well in a lot of cases. There aren't a lot of other options, really... you could try a rifle stock, but I have my doubts. Keeping your shutter speed as high as possible of course. Is it something that you can reduce with pressure, in other words: If you apply pressure to your hands does it have any effect? Can you determine how many stops of tremor you have?

For people without your affliction, you can make a cord style brace. It consists of a 1/4"x20 eyebolt (short one) that you screw into the tripod mount, and a length of heavy cord runs in a closed loop through the eyebolt, down to the ground, long enough to place both feet on it, and tied to the other end. Carried in your pocket, it is there when you need it.

To use; You uncoil it, step on the loop, and pull upward to tension the cord against your camera which then will have limited movement sideways. It might work quite well in combination with the good camera-holding technique of keeping your elbows tucked in tight. The problem for you will be the added stress of pulling upward while taking the photo.

But it's very cheap to make one, so try it.

Can you determine how many stops of tremor you have?
Now see, this is exactly like 480sparky's problem of converting shutter speed to "stops".

For people without your affliction, you can make a cord style brace. It consists of a 1/4"x20 eyebolt (short one) that you screw into the tripod mount, and a length of heavy cord runs in a closed loop through the eyebolt, down to the ground, long enough to place both feet on it, and tied to the other end. Carried in your pocket, it is there when you need it.

To use; You uncoil it, step on the loop, and pull upward to tension the cord against your camera which then will have limited movement sideways. It might work quite well in combination with the good camera-holding technique of keeping your elbows tucked in tight. The problem for you will be the added stress of pulling upward while taking the photo.

But it's very cheap to make one, so try it.
Brilliant! I remember seeing that in a book, but had forgotten all about it.

One of the kids in our photography club has some tremors and has always had one of those cheap light tripods always connected to the camera. I was recently reading that the gimbal stabilizers were taking a lot of the steady cam market due to lower price and was thinking that would be a good solution for this kid - something you might want to give a try. I have no idea how they respond to hand shake, but it is worth a test.

Another solution in some situations is to set the camera down on something stable. Let the solid thing act as a tripod or monopod. As long as you can frame properly from such a position, it can help deal with motion blur.

cord style brace. It consists of a 1/4"x20 eyebolt (short one) that you screw into the tripod mount, and a length of heavy cord runs in a closed loop through the eyebolt, down to the ground, long enough to place both feet on it, and tied to the other end

I'm going to try this. Simple, easy to carry, cheap and easy to deploy. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

@tirediron the shake is limited to either the hands or the head, and in most cases external pressure to one or the other will stop the shake in that area, but is likely to cause it to start in the other. Controlled breathing and mind clearing will work temporarily some times until it passes. Even then, there's a little high frequency shake motion blur especially with longer focal lengths. Here's a good example, realize that the shutter speed was a little slow, but the ones I took at higher speeds were actually worse because of the shake. Even so it should have been tack sharp, and would have been with a tripod.

Styx River04232017_143.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

@fmw I find myself judging composition choice based on the availability of near by support. Unfortunately it's not always possible.

Would a monopod be helpful here? Will both hands experience tremors at the same time? E.g. if one hand steadies the monopod and the other can take the shot via a remote shutter release or the self-timer.

There are also camera rigs (mostly made for videographers) that let you clip a brace attached to your waist or shoulder.

Tried @Designer suggestion of rope loop and eye bolt. Might hold some promise need to practice with it. I did find out that if there is a borderline between to much pressure and to little. To much will actually accentuate the problem while a light pressure will decrease it???? Also reviewed a video of arm locks that Designer sent. That might also be of help when I practice them so they don't feel uncomfortable.

I have a little situation, it started showing up a few years ago, and gets better/worse at unpredictable times. It's called Essential Tremor - a nervous system (neurological) disorder that causes involuntary and rhythmic shaking. It can affect almost any part of your body, but the trembling occurs most often in your hands. So far have managed it without drugs, and intend to keep it that way if at all possible. I'm told its not an uncommon problem, however, at times it's almost impossible for me to hand hold a camera and get a sharp shot. One of the issues is concentration can cause it to be worse!

If I'm using a tripod I can either use the remote to focus/shoot, or use manual focus on live view to bump it into focus, but I can't always carry a tripod. Used breathing control which helps sometimes. Thought of trying a monopod, but not sure if that would be the answer. Anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? Are there other types of supports that might work?
I have the same issue. Unfortunately, mine was magnified by practicing doctors stupid choices of medication for other issues. I am virtually drug free today and seen a remarkable improvement recently. However, today was pretty bad for no apparent reason.

Things I have done... Limited caffeine intake, breathing out, rocking in & out, curl 5 lbs prior to going out on shoot (just 4 or 5 reps of ten), have a plan with goal every time, elbows in tight, never us my elbow on a knee, no alcohol (really bad for it), stay hydrated, and tripod on bad days. Mono pods are very helpful but can kick your butt using it all day, short shoots they are good.

Now, fujifilm OIS glass is fantastic and I have no issue at all, even on a bad day. The primes are where I can get caught in a trick bag, especially the 60mm macro. Keep in mind I manual focus more than I auto focus. I only auto focus with sports /birds or when I am feeling lazy . I (manual) use focus peak highlights with focus check off when hand holding (my favorite feature).

The one drug that helps is diazapan but I can't drive when I take it. The recent, good doctor gave me a script for it but it makes my arms heavy and I feel tired. So basically it turns me into a zombie photog, no more of that.

Last edited:
Best recommendation I could give is monpod, monopod, monopod. Smaller than a tripod, provides good support, and is small enough it can be taken anywhere.

Most reactions

Back