tips for shooting candy

motherlee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine owns a old fashioned candy store. They've asked me to shoot some shots for their wholesale catalog. It will mostly be shots of slices of fudge along with some chocolate pizza.

They have been shooting their images themselves up to this point using a light box. They want the images to be on a white background to fit in with the rest of their catalog. Their pictures are very flat looking. I would like to give them shots that really show off the texture of their products.

I'm currently in a photography program, but have not done many product types of shots. Can you offer any advice on lighting set up for this type of product?

Thanks,

Leanne

The key here is to show off the texture. Position the main light at an angle (low or high) to create long shadows. Then diffuse the main light and use a bounce card or fill light to slightly open said shadows. Then block off any light hitting the background and light the background. Of course the key is to experiment, experiment, experiment. Make sure it is not on the clients time. Shoot a couple of different apertures. Some like a shallow DOF others like everything tack sharp.

Love & Bass

So I finally got a chance to attempt the shooting the chocolate pizza. They want some shots of it in its package as well as some out of the package. I was having a bit of trouble with reflection on the packaging. Is there too much shadow on the first shot?

Here are a couple shots for feedback.

DSC_0022web.jpg

DSC_0073web.jpg

Thanks,

Leanne

Not very appetizing. The light is flat. The second should should come from overhead. Not sure if any one will ever view the pizza the way you have in the second shot.

Love & Bass

the picture doesnt make me want it ...............But I want it anyway keep trying post mre attempts im hungry ..

So I finally got a chance to attempt the shooting the chocolate pizza. They want some shots of it in its package as well as some out of the package. I was having a bit of trouble with reflection on the packaging. Is there too much shadow on the first shot?

Here are a couple shots for feedback.

DSC_0022web.jpg

DSC_0073web.jpg

Thanks,

Leanne

I'm sorry, but the pizza looks disgusting.

I would personally say to them "lets have catalog pictures, where these things are in proper settings and look natural, not documentations in a lightbox.

if it HAS to stay in the lightbox, get closer, use selective focus. higher contrast.

start with higher lighting ratios, and for god's sake, use a polarizer...

Well, I changed my set up, picked a different piece of chocolate and tried again...

DSC_0070aweb.jpg

I appreciate the feedback.

Leanne

You need shallower DOF, go to a department store and pick up a cooking magazine to get examples.

Yeah, I would suggest looking through some food magazines to figure out a look that you like. And, I also agree that that first "slice" of candy pizza looks pretty gross -- not a reflection on the photo, just the product.

The book Martha Stewart's Cookies has amazing photos of cookies!! In fact, I have gotten more enjoyment out of the pictures of the cookies than out of the cookies I've made from it. But if you're looking into books for ideas, the pictures in that one are worth the price of the book.

I appreciate the feedback and will take a look at some magazines as suggested. This started as a favour for a friend, but I've actually enjoyed playing around with it more than I would have thought. Here is one last shot.

Chocolatepizzacloseupweb.jpg

Thanks again.

Leanne

Most reactions

New Topics

Back