To Flash or Not to Flash?

bnl552

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone else opinions and experiences have been with using a flash during the wedding ceremony. I recently purchased a 5D so I can probably get away with using my flash less since the Canon has very little noise even at 800 and 1600, but what does everyone else think?

If it is indoors with a bright ceiling, use a flash and bounce the living daylights out of it. i'd be real cautious outdoors beucase if it's hot outside, people will start looking unsually shiny. It's really up to you, to decide if you want to use flash.

We flash the formal portraits and the processional, but I always turn the flash off (whether it's allowed or not) during the ceremony itself. Just found that it's a lot less distracting to the service. Then the flash is back on for pretty much everything else. We shoot flash for fill when we're outside regardless of how bright the day is. If it's really bright I'll have Kel holding a big bounce down low to throw some light back up under the brows to clear out those black-eye-hole shadows. We also diffuse and bounce the flash whenever possible to avoid the hotspots and shine. We also shoot ISO 1600 and f/2.8 or larger for everything unless we're outside.

Sharkbait said:
We flash the formal portraits and the processional, but I always turn the flash off (whether it's allowed or not) during the ceremony itself. Just found that it's a lot less distracting to the service. Then the flash is back on for pretty much everything else. We shoot flash for fill when we're outside regardless of how bright the day is. If it's really bright I'll have Kel holding a big bounce down low to throw some light back up under the brows to clear out those black-eye-hole shadows. We also diffuse and bounce the flash whenever possible to avoid the hotspots and shine. We also shoot ISO 1600 and f/2.8 or larger for everything unless we're outside.

Not to mention for the sake of the video if they have a videographer. Nothing is more distracting in their keepsake video when the screen goes completely washed out every few seconds.

Sharkbait said:
We flash the formal portraits and the processional, but I always turn the flash off (whether it's allowed or not) during the ceremony itself. Just found that it's a lot less distracting to the service. Then the flash is back on for pretty much everything else.

I have a unique perspective. Photography is my "day job." On weekends, I'm a muscian/liturgist in a Catholic parish. Often times a minister will tell me it's OK to use strobes during the ceremony. Many guests will. I do not. I suppose it's due in part to being trained "old school," but I think we're all capable of thinking for ourselves.

My reasoning is (for lack of a better word) the religious ceremony "ranks" higher than my photographs. So it follows, for me, that so long as me working does not intrude on the ceremony, then fine. I feel the strobe is intrusive, so available light for me. And I never approach the sanctuary during the ceremony... long lenses will be fine enough. Nobody ever knows I'm there.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
I actually AIM for those guys. They barely rank above the DJ in my book.

Pete
Ugh, we had one last weekend that nearly brought me to tears. She just had it in her head that she was the reason that everyone was there. There was space in the limo for one extra person beyond the bridal party. Rather than ask the couple if they wanted a photographer or videographer (or if they just wanted to be left alone for fifteen minutes), she just jumped right in and said she was riding in the limo. Oh man I was fuming. At the reception our goal is to stay the hell out of the way and capture the moments, but pull the couple out once to give them a break and grab half a dozen quick shots of them by themselves at the reception. She was dragging them and other guests all over, getting in between people that were dancing with her damn video camera, not to mention getting in every one of my freakin' shots (I've got a beautiful photo of the back of her head during the bouquet toss...I set up and was ready, and just as the bride went to fling the flowers, she stepped right in front of me). Oh man I almost kicked her.

ShutteredEye said:
Not to mention for the sake of the video if they have a videographer. Nothing is more distracting in their keepsake video when the screen goes completely washed out every few seconds.

Screw the videographer. If they are worth a hoot, they can edit out flash and anything else they don't like.

I've had more than a few BAD experiences trying to work with these video camera morons.

For indoor ceremonies, first I determine if flash will even be allowed. Then I determine if I'll be close enough for it to make difference. Then I ask the couple's preference (I have examples of both flash, and no-flash during the ceremony in my portfolio). If it's okay to use I mix it up with some flash, some available light.

If the ceremony is outdoors on a sunny day, and I can get close enough, I use flash for fill. If it's overcast it just depends on how the couples eye sockets look. Some folks have deep set eyes, and they need fill flash even with diffuse, overcast lighting.

In the last 40 or 50 weddings I've done I can only remember one time when the guests were told not to use flash, so even if I'm not allowed to use flash, usually cell phones are popping all over the place.

Christie Photo said:
My reasoning is (for lack of a better word) the religious ceremony "ranks" higher than my photographs. So it follows, for me, that so long as me working does not intrude on the ceremony, then fine.
Pete
That's a very honorable to say but I'm sure most clients who pay over a thousand dollars (usually lots more I don't know what you charge) would differ with what is important on their wedding day. I (with respect to the venue of course) do whatever it takes to get the best photos possible while still remaining as unobtrusive as possible. I think there is no hard and fast rule for flash or no flash, somtimes flash is neccesary sometims you can use available light thats just the way it goes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back