Today's Black And White

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im a little happier with todays shots but there is still a lot of work before I am totally comfortable with this camera. Oh well.

baseba.JPG

building.JPG

ducks.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to look...

Should I continue with this camera or hang it up and deal with the digital?

They were taken using Kodak Professional BW400CN film from Wal-Mart and were processed and added to a cd at Wal-Mart.

I agree after looking at them closer. They look odd.

Soul Rebel said:
They were taken using Kodak Professional BW400CN film from Wal-Mart and were processed and added to a cd at Wal-Mart.

Both Ilford and Kodak make B&W film that get processed in color (C41) chemistry. They will often have a green or even a pink tint when printed or scanned. They do look quite good however if you convert them over to a true B&W in Photoshop or even a free program like Ifranview.

I have found however that if you are going to shoot film and get it processed at the local Wal-Mart or other 1 hour lab, I just shoot color film and then convert them to B&W in photoshop.

Another tip is that if you are going to shoot a lot of film I would just buy a film scanner rather than pay for CDs. You will get much better results and it will pay for itself after about 20-30 rolls. There are several good scanners that do a good job with 35mm for around $100.

I do however like what you have got goin' here, the shot of the totem poles os really nice

Soul Rebel said:

Wait...professional film developed at Walmart??? I thought Walmart only developed C41???

I've used to Kodak B/W C41 process stuff, and was actually quite happy with it.

They are right though, there does seem to be a bit of a colorcast to them. And I agree with Wally that you can save them in PS.

But give up??? NEVER!!! It may take a while to get the hang of it, but you'll do it. What camera do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Its a Canon T50 that I got from my father. Ive got a 50mm lens and another zoom that I dont remember specifics about offhand.

Im just getting frustrated due to the fact that with college I have no money to put into taking photos and when I do, they dont turn out. I just want one set of shots to turn out so that I have a good day, lol.

As for professional....thats what the box said. Its probably just a gimmick phrase though. It is the C41, I remember that much.

I'm not personally familiar with the T50, but after googling it, it looks like the SLR they came out with after the Canon AE-1 Program (which is what I have). Looks like a nice camera to learn on. I totally understand your frustration. I was in that EXACT spot when I started, as many of us have been. I didn't have much money for film and developing, either.

The shots you posted in this thread really aren't too bad. They do have issues, but that's to be expected when you are learning. It'll take time, but keep going, don't give up on the camera or your abilities, and spend a lot of time asking every question that you have in these forums. This is a great place to learn...it's helped me a lot.

I look forward to seeing more from you!

Most reactions

Back