Todays lesson learned...

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When you go to a nature preserve (or I suppose any truly 'wild' place), I don't care how tough you are or how much you think "I can handle a few bites".

Bring... mosquito... repellent.

Well, off I go to play 'Find the Tick'. If anyone cares to join me, let me know.

:lol: I experienced that one night when I decided to try to get pictures of lightning. wooooooo that was FUN.

When you go to a nature preserve (or I suppose any truly 'wild' place), I don't care how tough you are or how much you think "I can handle a few bites".

Bring... mosquito... repellent.

Well, off I go to play 'Find the Tick'. If anyone cares to join me, let me know.

Pass! :thumbdown:

:lol: I experienced that one night when I decided to try to get pictures of lightning. wooooooo that was FUN.

When you can actually see them swarming around you, you know you're in for a rough night. :lmao: (and I guess a rough few days of itching).

On a bright note tho, I didn't find any ticks :)

and how is this for weird... today I went to the same preserve and I brought my OFF! I doused myself in it. Ok, less mosquito bites but when I get home I find a tick on my shoulder.

:er:

and how is this for weird... today I went to the same preserve and I brought my OFF! I doused myself in it. Ok, less mosquito bites but when I get home I find a tick on my shoulder.

:er:

i've been working with my dad at my uncles house replacing his old siding lately and we've come to find out...OFF does not work for ticks.

I've doused myself in it plenty of times and it didn't help at all. I would still find ten or so throughout just a few hours. My dad actually ended up contracting lymes disease. Once, i found a tick and i pulled it off of me and put it on a flat surface and put a ring of off around it. it didn't matter. tick walked right through it. haha.

We ended up finding another repellent named Repel with 40% deet in it. it seemed to work a little better

It's a tradeoff. Lyme disease or cancer as I'm pretty sure I heard that deet can cause cancer.

Shawn - Did your dad get healed from the Lyme disease. I think I remember that there are various stages of Lyme Disease and if caught early you can recover....if not, you could die. I hope your dad ended up okay.

he went to the doctor and they gave him some medicine. if heard that it stays with you forever though and can reoccur whenever. is that true? he's fine now but who knows.

"cancer from the ocean, cancer from the sun". hahaha.

I don't know a lot about it. I talked with a gentleman once that had lyme disease and he said is was one of the worse "stages" and didn't catch it early and it was expected that he would die though I don't remember how long he had left at the time. Glad your dad is doing fine now though.

That's the truth. Cancer from the sun, cancer from the shade. Cancer from deet, or from not enough deet. :))

Meh.. mosquito bites...

Try getting your legs covered with chigger bites.

eh. i hate anything thats a bloodsucker.

mosquitos cause so many deaths its not funny. and they're pointless.

chiggers suck too. i have a ton of those on the top of my feet. I got them when i was taking some pictures of fireworks in july. i still have them. lol

Meh.. mosquito bites...

Try getting your legs covered with chigger bites.

Man....ain't that the truth. About a week ago I was doing some macro's in a bush and that night I discovered that I had been eaten alive by chiggers. Both feet, up both legs, one on each butt cheek and even in my pelvis area. Those itch about 100 times worse than anything else and you can't exactly scratch many of those areas in public without getting really weird stares.

I guess I'm lucky to not have encountered any chiggers yet, tho I did find a second tick later on in an area that, really, it shouldn't have been able to get to (no details!).

As for OFF, it says it repels ticks on the bottle. Guess I go and find a stronger deet somewhere :(

Ocean sand fleas! Little buggers BITE! and bite HARD! Had them all over my shins and thighs. Itched for days. Sucks trying to sleep.

heh....chiggers....

i don't think i have them any more, but i had some pics of what chiggers do to me. well, the doctors can only assume that it's chiggers, since i never actually saw anything bite me.

1/2 to 1 inch round blisters that stood up about a 1/2 inch. i'll gladly walk naked into a swarm of mosquitoes to avoid that itching.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back