tokina 28-80mm 2.8 soft images

chris21908

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just bought a tokina 28-80mm 2.8 and the photos come out very very soft at f.2.8. i first took a picture of my wooden incense holder at 2.8, then another at f.8 and its a huge difference! Is this something i have to live with or can tokina fix this?

this is at 2.8
DSC_4632-1.jpg

this is at f.8
DSC_4630crop.jpg

Mine is not nearly so soft.

How close are you focusing? Step back a foot or three and try it.

Have you tried manually focusing?

Have you checked the rear element to make sure it's clean?

just bought a tokina 28-80mm 2.8 and the photos come out very very soft at f.2.8. i first took a picture of my wooden incense holder at 2.8, then another at f.8 and its a huge difference! Is this something i have to live with or can tokina fix this?

this is at 2.8
DSC_4632-1.jpg
Is that how it looks in your viewfinder before snapping the shot?

the f/8 image is soft on the left leading me to think you are too close too. I agree w/ Mike E that you should check your close focusing distance and/or back up and reshoot. Use a tripod as well. What were your shutter speeds? Did you get autofocus confirmation?

Derrick

I did make sure it is clean. if i remember correctly i was shooting no slower than 1/250. i did get an autofocus confirmation. i actually have the lens for sale right now so hopefully it will sell.

Macro wide open, on a zoom lens designed for neither is a problem waiting to be discovered.

Even my tac sharp Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 looks like that top picture at 200mm and 3m from my subject. When taking shots like that having a close range corrected lens is almost a must.

Most reactions

Back