Torajan funeral ceremony: gruesome and barbaric water buffalo sacrifice

Discussion in 'Dark Side Gallery' started by Philmar, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philmar

Philmar Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. Philmar

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is what I believed prior to witnessing the ceremony. I am aware that cameras are banned from slaughter houses, and have 2 friends who worked at a chicken slaughter house who are now both vegetarians. I imagine what goes on in our slaughterhouses is also barbaric and gruesome. Both events are gruesome and barbaric in my view. One of the reasons I can enjoy a good steak is because the horrors of the slaughter house are kept out of my consciousness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes they eat it. You should see the the tradition of them taking out the deads out of the grave and give them new clothes, comb their hair, etc. Now that is INTERESTING!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson 'In Memorium A.H.H.'

Who trusted God was love indeed
    And love Creation's final law
    Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
    With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

5. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It may be hard to watch but this is how it has been done for a thousand years, heck millions.

My point is that as Americans we are so distant from our food that anything that doesn't come from the meat department at a grocery store is considered barbaric. Assigning your western ideals on a different culture is not very appropriate. For them this is normal and "humane".

6. runnah

Photos OK to edit
    Actually slaughterhouses (most) are marvels of efficiency. Most can process a full grown cow in a matter of minutes.

I don't see where you get the barbaric feeling from as there is no nice way to get a steak from a cow.

7. bribrius

bribrius Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Halal Slaughter Controvesy

putting the religion aspect of this aside, this was the first thing i came to in a search and thought it might pertain. The halal method is common and practiced in the states as well for years before we went to the bolt in the head method. Also, noted, it was and is practiced on humans as well in executions. In which case it may not be so much the pain felt but the knowledge you are bleeding out and cant breathe and are dying for those first seconds (assuming they didnt hack with a dull knife for minutes) and the sever cuts the nerves as well so little is actually felt.

8. Philmar

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then one can argue that the process of getting our steak is also barbaric. There is a reason cameras are banned. That it occurs frequently and out of our site does not make it less barbaric, I just call it as I feel it.

9. Philmar

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then nothing is barbaric if the person doing it feels it is normal and the act has been done countless times before.
    It is my personal belief that what we do in the West is also barbaric. I guess I acknowledge my/our barbarism, heck, I love a good steak. I certainly would eat less of them if slaughterhouse images/videos were common in our mass media/tv/movies/magazines.

10. runnah

Photos OK to edit
    We could dance around terms and usage of words, my point was that assigning such strong terms to a photos gives the viewer a preconceived notion as what to expect. Now that can either work in favor or against an artist when it comes time for appreciation of their work. I personally like to leave things a blank slate so the viewer can come to their own conclusions.

11. snerd

snerd Anti-Dentite Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What?! Are you saying that you're just looking to be offended? Heck, you can find those videos on the Internet.............. go watch them and eat less steak, if that will make you feel better. I'm not sure I get the point of the discussion lol!! They'll get my medium rare rib-eye when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

12. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Oh lord, I'm an idiot. I finally decided to look only at the second page of this thread just to assuage my curiosity. "Maybe it's one of those humorously misleading titles!" I thought. "Better not look at the pictures, just to be sure, though." Well, at least I was smart enough to listen to the second thought. Then I countered that smart move with the dumb move of expanding a quote and seeing one of the pictures anyway.

For the record, I do believe the word "barbaric" applies to our slaughterhouses here in the States. (There's a reason why there's such high employee turnover and a high incidence of PTSD in those workers.) And this belief is one of the reasons I haven't touched steak or poultry in 20+ years, and why these days I literally go out of my way to find milk and eggs from small, local farms that can sustain free-range farming.

Having lived one year right next to one of the official Istanbul slaughtering centers of goats/sheep for Kurban Bayrami (Eid-al Adha in Arabic - the "Sacrifice Holiday"), I can say that the ritual slaughtering is also horrifying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.