TORN BETWEEN_______?

Mr. Etiquette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Evenin Photoheads,

Sorta new to the photo field I am a graphic designer by education and trade but use my cam more and more. I am looking to upgrade from fixed lens to DSLR, the entry level goods are nice but won't cover what I am looking to do as far as options go. I currently love my fixed just because of resolution and ease of use and I can tweak the photos to high heaven in photoshop but I am looking for on the fly adjustments that fixed lenses just don't offer and I also need to reach out and take pics of certain objects but I also want the flexibility to interchange lens to take texture shots which require a close up lens. I am still a newbie in this field but am a serious certified Adobe trainer when it comes to graphic design. I need some direction as far as DSLR cameras go so I don't make a HUGE error when it comes to a purchase like a pro cam. PLEASE HELP!!! Right now I am looking a Sony A200, Canon EOS Rebel XTi & a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 (just because of the dope multi-directional viewer). If I am way off base please let me know guru's.

Thank You So Much

Are you basing those choices on features, or have you actually gone out to a store and played around with those models? I'm asking because you may get your heart set on one based solely on features and hate the way it feels in your hands, or all the little hoops you have to jump through to use all those features you wanted.

As far as brands.. Sony, IMO, isn't worth the price. You're generally paying for the name. Personal experience is limited to my girlfriends mom's camera.. in which the AF gears in BOTH lenses she has stripped out.. and striped the AF gear in the body while they were at it.

I've never liked Canon, but that's just always been a personal preference. I tried out a Canon when I was shopping for my SLR many years ago and hated the way they felt. I don't have any experience with Canon DSLRs. Same with Panasonic DSLRs.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.. but if I can deter you from Sony at least, then my work is done =P

Are you against Nikon or just haven't found tried one yet. I would not base your decision of how the lcd tilts. You pay more to be able to look at your pictures from a diff angle. It really does not help at all. It actually may hinder. Just FYI none of those listed are pro cameras. Out of those I would go with the XTI. Though for an entry camera. I would say look into a d80 or d4o. A d40 is great to start with and the lenses can follow you up to a d300. I would not get the Panasonic though... plus it has an even smaller sensor the APS cams do.

What's your budget like? If you are looking at getting good results but don't want to spend $$$ on lenses down the line, Pentax is a good brand. Either k20d or k7, the other models are quite amateur feeling. In-built IS and supported by some very good 3rd party lenses. Canon & Nikon are the leading two, but I'm just here to remind you there's other alternatives! That in-built IS saves a tonne on quality lenses later

Take a very good, hard, long look at the line-up of lenses from each manufacturer, and heavliy weight your descision based on that. I went with Canon because of some of the fantastic glass that's available for me to purchase later down the line. That, and (modestly) better reproduction of skin tones. (But I had a feeling from the get-go that I wanted to shoot people.)

Take a very good, hard, long look at the line-up of lenses from each manufacturer,
That's good advice. When you buy an SLR camera, you are buying into a system. If you take it far enough, your lens collection may become more important that your camera body because you will upgrad the camera but keep the lenses.

As such, my advice is to strongly consider Canon or Nikon. Sony is OK because although they are new in the SLR game, they have the pedigree that they bought from Konica Minolta...but Sony isn't at the level of Canon or Nikon IMO.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the DSLR bodies from the major companies. They are all pretty good. The only issue is that you might be better off with a higher level body, rather than one of the entry level ones...but that's s significant price jump.

The bigger issue will be the lens. Most come with a 'kit' lens that is made to be light and cheap. They are OK (probably better than most digi-cams) but they pale in comparison to actual high quality lenses. Of course, high quality lenses cost as much or more than the camera itself.

Take a very good, hard, long look at the line-up of lenses from each manufacturer, and heavliy weight your descision based on that.

Absolutely, 100% agree with that. Glass should be more important than the body in your purchase choice. If you have a limited budget, this is what I suggest once you've decided on whose glass you prefer. Get the best lens you can afford then get yourself the best body with whatever money you have left. I would seriously look at used or discontinued models. Digital bodies seem to change pretty regularly and, unlike lenses, they don't seem to hold their value quite as much.

I used to shoot Minolta in film because of their glass but I do not recommend Sony in digital. If you get serious about your photo you'll be sorry to not have picked either Nikon or Canon.

As to asking here which is best, it's kind of like asking people Ford, Dodge or Chevy in an auto forum?

Although it is true that most new bodies are offered with a kit lens or two, you do not have to buy those lenses. Those kit lenses are zooms too and they may be better then they used to be, but from what I've seen and read so far, I personally intend to stick to prime lenses.

Cheers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back