Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by ksmattfish, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh wait, yes we are! Photos of the ancient ocean floor at Wilson Lake, Kansas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first is great, excellent. The second is a little topsy-turvy for me, but still excellent.

Is this different for you?- I was expecting B&W when I peeked. -I'm not disappointed.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Topsy-turvy ... I like that WORD! :D
    There is a Mike Hargreaves* childrens book on Mr Topsy-Turvy in Britian (and in my shelves, I have just about ALL the Mr Men books, mind you) --- funny association in connection with this very wide-angle landscape photography!!! :D

I like the COLOURS in both of these, so - no disappointment AT ALL about colour photos by our mattfish!

I was expecting you to like the second one very much, Walter, for its geological aspects (which I cannot read, but geologists may be able to), and here you say you like the first very much? I find both of them fascinating because they are landscape photos, but vertically framed ones, and they are very, very wide angle ones on top of that. Coolest!

(*I do hope I remember the name right, I was too lazy to rush upstairs to check...)

4. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

these are pretty nice, I love the composition. the 2nd is even cooler then the first to me.. I like how you balanced the highlights well, but taking out so much of the shadow values leaves it feeling a bit flat, maybye its just me..
    still very nice shots !!

5. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I could do -that- with colors, people wouldn't call my shots names any more (maybe).

I'd think, that they were shot with a maybe, 12-24 or 10-20 lense. Something like that- Encouraging to me (I'm going out today again with mine).

Sandstone possibly? Limestone would take incredible heat and pressure(?). I can't think of that type of faulting in the area (although I think there was a major-major quake in the early 1800s that reversed the Mississippi for a bit), that would morph it.

Geology's old-hat nowdays. This month it's California Native American ethnographies and hacking on public domain E.S Curtis (a cursed pictorialist) photos for my web site.

Last year I visited a museum that featured 'Upside-down Town.' I've tried to use 'topsy-turvy' as much as I can since then- and willy-nilly.

Again, really nice shots.

6. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, lots of orange and red sandstone in central Kansas (this is just west of Salina). These were taken with a Canon 5D with a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 at 17mm, and a polarizer. Since getting into digital I've been shooting a lot more color in my personal work. These are just quick first edits (I just got back this morning); color and contrast will probably be tweaked after I see proof prints.

7. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From the same place as the second photo. Taken many years ago with my Widelux, and probably either Tmax 100 or FP4 125. Topsy turvy back then too!

[​IMG]

8. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A polarizing filter gets the ball rolling. In PS I make multiple BW versions using the channel mixer optimized for specific parts of the image (such as heavy red channel for the sky). Then I mask them together how I want, flatten the BW layers, and set the blend mode of the BW layer (perched over a color layer) to luminosity. This gives me the tone values from the BW in my color image. High percentage/low radius smart sharpen for crispness, followed by low percentage/high radius USM for local contrast (also all done on a luminosity layer to avoid color shift).

9. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :shock: - ok.

10. OregonAmy

OregonAmy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your first two are beautiful.

I'm moving to Overland Park this weekend, so you have provided me with some inspiration on geographic landscapes (having mostly lived in the PNW much of my life). Can't wait till autumn.

11. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not quite as easy as it sounds,.... but very cool- Thanks!

12. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit