Trade up to the D7000?

Tarazed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a D7000 for $1199 and the dealer is willing to give me $400 for my D90 and another $400 for a Nikon 16-85. What do you folks think? I'll then have to replace the 16-85 with something else (probably something faster) My other lenses are the 35 1.8, 50 1.8, 105 2.8 vr and 80-200 af-s.

Any thought appreciated. The dealer thinks I should keep the 16-85, but trading both makes it less painful.

Thanks

Coming from a dealer, those are pretty fair prices to me. If you sold them yourself, you might be able to get another 15% or so out of them, but you'll have to go through more hassel, possibly wait for the right buyer, or pay fees for selling them online. If the D7K is what you want, it doesn't sound like a bad deal. Of course you could always sell the D90 and lens yourself AND buy a used D7000 and save a couple more hundred.

The small gaps (50 mm to 80 mm) in your focal lengths now are negligible, but I would want something lens wise below 35 mm.

I agree $800 for the D90 and lens as trade in value is very fair. I'd pull the trigger.

What would you recommend below 35mm? Also should I consider waiting for the D7100?

TRADE!
bigthumb.gif

I pulled the trigger this morning and shot my daughter's soccer game this afternoon (that sounds like and unintended pun of some sort). Anyway, I really like it so far, but I need to get accoustomed to the changes/improvements. Thanks for the advice I think I made a good decision. Now I am going to start the hunt for a lens that is shorter then 35mm. I'm thinking a wide zoom permits easier composition than a prime? Possibly harder to zoom with your feet at the wider end? Any thoughts?

I pulled the trigger this morning and shot my daughter's soccer game this afternoon (that sounds like and unintended pun of some sort). Anyway, I really like it so far, but I need to get accoustomed to the changes/improvements. Thanks for the advice I think I made a good decision. Now I am going to start the hunt for a lens that is shorter then 35mm. I'm thinking a wide zoom permits easier composition than a prime? Possibly harder to zoom with your feet at the wider end? Any thoughts?

What was wrong with the 16-85, just to ask? It's a great lens and has a 16mm wide angle setting that would suit most for wide angle needs whilst remaining flexible. It is slow though as you say but has a great VR feature and you have a 35 1.8 and 50 1.8 if you need fast in the mid range. I think the 11-16 2.8 Tokina though must be your only option, if you want wide and fast.

Nothing was wrong with it at all! I really liked the lens. I guess I got a little spoiled with the faster lenses and felt that the $400 would serve me better in getting the D7000 body. It was a tough call, but I rarely used it and I actually bought it for $400 so I figured, what the heck maybe I'll try to get something a little better down the road. In the end it cost me $0 to own it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back