Trail running shots

ISO 64000
Shutter 1/8000
Aperture f/22

wow .. maxxed out on everything.
as mentioned use something way less.
At that age and considering she was running down some I'd be shooting at least a Shutter of 1/1000
and Aperture of f/8
then ISO would be way less which would eliminate the fuzzy/snowy effect that you see in the image.

As mentioned above you really need to start gaining an understanding of exposure. You need a Shutter speed fast enough, for this, to stop motion. And an aperture to give you the depth of field that you want, and an ISO that is good for the camera. then learn to make adjustments to compensate for any off exposure setting.

ISO 64000
Shutter 1/8000
Aperture f/22

At that age and considering she was running down some I'd be shooting at least a Shutter of 1/1000
and Aperture of f/8
then ISO would be way less which would eliminate the fuzzy/snowy effect that you see in the image.

As mentioned above you really need to start gaining an understanding of exposure. You need a Shutter speed fast enough, for this, to stop motion. And an aperture to give you the depth of field that you want, and an ISO that is good for the camera. then learn to make adjustments to compensate for any off exposure setting.
Hey thanks for the feedback. How would you go about finding that sweet spot? do you use a hand held light meter? Thanks

ISO 64000
Shutter 1/8000
Aperture f/22

and Aperture of f/8

Hey thanks for the feedback. How would you go about finding that sweet spot? do you use a hand held light meter? Thanks
No. the meter in the camera is a light meter.

You start by understanding the elements of Exposure.

how does Shutter Speed affect a shot ... and what shutter speeds for what type of action, movement, etc of the subject. What are good shutter speed.
for instance, this "cheat sheet" to increase your knowledge and understanding ==> https://petapixel.com/2017/03/17/shutter-speed-chart-simple-photography-cheat-sheet/

and then learn how the aperture affects the depth of field of the subject.
such as this quickie page ==> Lens Aperture Chart for Beginners

if you set ISO to AUTO ISO with a Max of say 1600 .. look for it in your manual this should limit noise/white spots.

Then start playing around with Shutter Speeds and Aperture - independently, then as you become more comfortable both at the same time.

For instance, when I look at something I'll have an idea of what Shutter Speed and Aperture that I want for the shot. That's my starting place. Then an appropriate ISO. If the ISO is too high, then I'll adjust one or another Shutter/Aperture to get the shot still.

you have to practice, and practice and practice to improve you understanding.
practice on one thing at a time. for instance Shutter Speed.
grab your kid and have them (a) stand there at say, 1/250. then have them (b) move/spin slowly at the same shutter. then have them (c) spin faster/run at the same shutter. Review the images and see the motion blur.

Then increase the shutter and repeat those 3 things again. Check the images for detail and movement. Then increase shutter again and recheck. Keep doing until (c) is looking the way you want it too.

Then learn Aperture on something long like a fence. such as this ==> Struggling with Focus

then practice. try thinking of what Shutter & Aperture you want.
Then think of how "ISO helps boost" the sensitivity of the sensor to light.

It took me a while to understand it all together.
There's more in depth detail to all that but keep it in a simple understandable system.

Good stuff thank you.

Many newer photographers (I mean a lot of them!!) come on the forum and ask for settings for a particular scenario. Inevitably some folks will answer trying to be helpful.
Unfortunately you have to know about exposure and how to use the tools in a given instance. There are really no shortcuts. The human eye compensates for Too Bright and Too Dark but the light meter in the camera reads the light and provides the answer that you need to plug into the equation. Light, speed and ISO are the elements.
The meter tells us the Light(shutter), Depth of Field also affected by shutter, the movement in the scene tells us the speed and those tell us if we need to compensate with a higher ISO.

Most reactions

Back