Transitioning from B&W to Color

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not a pro at all, just more a general question ...

My instagram to date is all black and white street photography.

I like black and white. But after a couple hundred images, I feel it's hard to incorporate color to the feed now - perhaps that's my own feeling towards it knowing my miniscule amount of followers like street and black and white.

What do you think - gradually do it, or do it straight away?

Clean out B&W shots and start afresh with color?

Thoughts?

snappingshark is my instagram name and the link is below if you want to check for how I would transition.

Jamie Bright (@snappingshark) • Instagram photos and videos

I like your stuff. Back when I did film photography, I only did black and white. I think it’s a great way to learn composition, and really focus on the geometry of an image.

Since I moved to digital and gotten back into he hobby after several years off, I’m feeling very liberated being able to do both as the image dictates. I’m having a lot of fun learning how to expose for color...

My advice would be to add color to your repertoire when an image you create speaks to you. Give yourself some assignments if you need to, but just experiment and trust your inner editor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do whatever your heart tells you would feel right.

There are no rules or rights and wrongs. Switching between B&W and color isn’t trivial (at least for me). i.e. Red and green are similar in B&W, yet considered opposites in color. You need to figure out what works with you and how to see in B&W and how to see in color in the same instant. Good Luck and Good Shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back