Transporting lighting equipment

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So the basic question is how do you transport all of your crap, I mean gear, when you are doing a shoot?

So right now I have a very large bag that I have been using to put most of my gear in, but it gets too heavy to move in and out of a vehicle and I am looking at alternative options.

I think my 2 biggest hang ups are the modifiers, light stands and weights. If I am doing even a 3 light set up and using my boom I need 4 weights, the 3 stands and a tripod. I know they make a lot of speciality "light stand" bags but fundamentally they are not much different then the bag I am using now, CAMS 3.0 190L

I have looked at some rolling construction style modular tool boxes which would easily fit all of the gear other then stands. The stands are actually quite easy to deal with on their own.

What is your go to for moving equipment from your "office" to vehicle to location?

Light heads, cables & power packs travel in the heavy-duty Speedotron bags they were sold with; most of modifiers are of the collapsible, umbrella-style, so they're easy to move. Light stands I just carry; I rarely need more than three, usually two is sufficient, and unless I'm doing something especially risky (my annual Pets with Santa shoot for instance), I use C-stands and don't bother with sand bags. I have a lightweight moving dolly that I've modified with a big box, so I can usually move almost everything in one trip from my truck to the location.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the same, exact Speedotron bag for my typical travel setup, which is a 400 W-s 4-outlet pack, a 200 W-s 2-outlet pack, a Y-type splitter cable, five Brown Line flash heads, two Pocket Wizards, a synch cable for emergencies, some metal reflectors, a few honeycomb grids, three light stands, and three smallish umbrellas; ALL of that fits into the Speedotron bag, which fits perfectly in the rear compartment/hatchback area of my car, or across the back seat of the car. I also carry about a 16 x 16 x 20 inch ballistic nylon case that has three 11.5-inch metal reflectors, barn doors, and three grids, and a bunch of mylar diffusers, and some gels. That is my "reflector and grid bag".

I transport/carry my Black Line stuff way less often, but when I do, I use the same Speedotron case, only filled with the 405B and 802B Black line packs, five flash heads, and the same type of metal reflectors. I carry two Black Line 202VF variable focusing flash heads in a special ballistic nylon case; those are specialty flash heads that allow the beam spread to be adjusted from wider to narrower. The bag also holds their big, heavy-duty,removable cables.

I've quit using the massive, 28-pound type (Black Line 2403B) power packs except for rare occasions.

If I have to go very far, I use a rolling hand truck; a hand truck, or wagon, or dolly....REALLY handy when you're alone, or have to move a lot of stuff!

Thank you I will look at those bags. I just have too many bags as it is so was just looking for options.

HERE is the exact, long-time-made Speedotron bag that Tirediron and I both have. This was sold with a number of pretty nice, factory-assembled Speedotron lighting kits, ones that had a power supply and two or three or four light heads. SpeedotronFour-Section Soft-Sided Medium Carrying Case (Black)

This is $124 brand new. I bought this case WITH its contents, a 400 W-s Brown Line D402 power pack and three M-11 flash heads for $300 about 12 years ago.

While it says "one pack" and "three" flash heads....it's possible (easy actually) to stuff in two packs and five flash heads. I think with monolights, something like six to eight flash units would fit into this case, and compact light stands and/or umbrella type modifiers can be layed down across the top of the built-in dividers; I do this all the time.

I use a selection of Tenba(for grip equipment and modifiers), Lightware(for packs) and recently replaced a hard case with the Speedotron case mentioned by tirediron and Derrel for loose heads and reflectors.

I do have a few hard cases from Princess Auto, just like Pelican but when on sale, very good value Search results for 'Impact Resistant Tool Box' | Princess Auto. The 22 inch Impact case when on sale is @$39.99 and is good for a couple of heads, cords etc. or my Invoatroix inverter and smoke machine. The photos are not as you'll get, they have a pick and pluck forfoam layer and two solid foam layers on the bottom, waffle foam on the top.

I also have a heavy duty hand truck with a couple of straps that folds up, 300 lb. capacity.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the suggestions, they are very helpful. I am still looking around trying to decide what will work best for my situation.

I picked up 2 "fishing pole" cases at a sporting good store. They were on sale for 19.99 each (typically ~60) combined they fit my lightstands and umbrellas easily and have straps to sling over your shoulders. They are solid and padded on the inside which was what I was looking for to protect the umbrellas. (60" each) I found that often you can get something at sporting goods stores (hockey bags / ski bags....) for a fraction of a similar constructed bag sold as photography equipment bags / cases.
For my lights and tripod / clamps etc... I actually have a suitcase (large flight capable size) they fit nicely in. Also does not look like camera gear so if someone is eyeing my backseat they might think it could be filled with clothes.

Most reactions

Back